Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WI Gov Scott Walker is an IDIOT! (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:33 AM
  • 19 Replies

http://blogs.forbes.com/erikkain/2011/05/17/wisconsin-governor-scott-walker-to-prevent-same-sex-couples-hospital-visitation-rights/

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker to Prevent Same-Sex Couples Hospital Visitation Rights

May. 17 2011 - 1:29 pm | 27,168 views | 0 recommendations | 13 comments

scott walker Via Doug Mataconis, who describes Walker’s actions as “despicably cruel” we get this news out of Wisconsin:

Madison – Gov. Scott Walker believes a new law that gives gay couples hospital visitation rights violates the state constitution and has asked a judge to allow the state to stop defending it.

Democrats who controlled the Legislature in 2009 changed the law so that same-sex couples could sign up for domestic partnership registries with county clerks to secure some – but not all – of the rights afforded married couples.

Wisconsin Family Action sued last year in Dane County circuit court, arguing that the registries violated a 2006 amendment to the state constitution that bans gay marriage and any arrangement that is substantially similar.

Republican Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen refused to defend the lawsuit, saying he agreed the new law violated the state constitution. Then-Gov. Jim Doyle, a Democrat, hired Madison attorney Lester Pines to defend the state.

Walker, a Republican, replaced Doyle in January and fired Pines in March. On Friday, Walker filed a motion to stop defending the case.

Doug asks, “Is the GOP hatred for gays so pervasive that they could really be this cold and heartless?” To which I can only answer: yes, apparently it is, at least when we’re talking about the GOP in Scott Walker’s Wisconsin.

Walker is literally going out of his way to prevent two people in a loving, committed relationship from visiting one another at the hospital. In other words, at what is quite likely a couple’s darkest hour, Scott Walker wants to impose legal restrictions barring two people from being with one another. Imagine that your wife or your husband was in the hospital and you were legally prohibited from visiting them. Is this the role we want our government to play in our lives?

And Republicans pretend they are the party of limited government. What terrific frauds. What a ludicrous illusion they have cast about themselves. Somehow the media and the American electorate keeps falling for the same trick. Liberty for me but not for thee. Low taxes and a government bent on preventing even this small shred of basic, human decency.

(Image via Daylife)

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xxxAthena
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM

ill respond here too ;P he is a freakin tool and I'm not surprised he would back doing something this insane and invasive. his thing is if they aren't like him then they aren't right.....gonna suck for him when he is up for re-election that's for sure

StarryRain
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM

It really is just the dumbest thing. Seriously...what PURPOSE does this serve but to PISS PEOPLE OFF?!!? It does NO ONE ANY real good.

Quoting xxxAthena:

ill respond here too ;P he is a freakin tool and I'm not surprised he would back doing something this insane and invasive. his thing is if they aren't like him then they aren't right.....gonna suck for him when he is up for re-election that's for sure

PhoneGrease
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM

He is wasting his time with an issue like this. If I were him, I wouldn't even get involved and let it pass.

TwisterMonkey
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:39 AM

I just don't understand what purpose this serves.  The Government, in general, is getting out of hand.  Democrats want to control the masses by taking choices away by paying for everything for you.  Republicans think its somehow within the rights of the Government to restrict visitation at a hospital.

When are people going to wake up and realize our freedoms are being chipped away at one by one by one?

StarryRain
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I changed the title to be a little more interesting, while still not totally inflammatory, as I think the story itself succeeds in that area.

randi1978
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM

What a douche bag.

StarryRain
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM

*wild applause*

Quoting TwisterMonkey:

I just don't understand what purpose this serves.  The Government, in general, is getting out of hand.  Democrats want to control the masses by taking choices away by paying for everything for you.  Republicans think its somehow within the rights of the Government to restrict visitation at a hospital.

When are people going to wake up and realize our freedoms are being chipped away at one by one by one?

xxxAthena
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:48 AM

well..given his ultra conservative stance he is prob thinking he is doing the correct thing because 'being gay is a sin' and other people in the hospital shouldn't be exposed to it. like i said if he doesn't agree with it then he thinks everyone else shouldn't agree withit too. IF he really cared about other people then he wouldn'thave been saying the things he did in this video when eh thought he was talking to one of the Koch brothers...long but full of info that can be proven and backed up.

Quoting StarryRain:

It really is just the dumbest thing. Seriously...what PURPOSE does this serve but to PISS PEOPLE OFF?!!? It does NO ONE ANY real good.

Quoting xxxAthena:

TwisterMonkey
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that it is the role of the Government to mandate morality....but people have been using Government that way for years.

Quoting xxxAthena:

well..given his ultra conservative stance he is prob thinking he is doing the correct thing because 'being gay is a sin' and other people in the hospital shouldn't be exposed to it. like i said if he doesn't agree with it then he thinks everyone else shouldn't agree withit too. IF he really cared about other people then he wouldn'thave been saying the things he did in this video when eh thought he was talking to one of the Koch brothers...long but full of info that can be proven and backed up.

Quoting StarryRain:

Quoting xxxAthena:

brettsmomma
by Tammie on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM

His reasoning is trimming the horrible budget this state has since the last governor was in office. Walker is cutting everything that was once important to WI residents. Gays are not the only ones left out in the dark because of his budget cutting.I cant remember the exact amount that lawyer was charging but it was a crazy amount.

I agree with the fact that gay couples should receive the basic rights like visitation in the hospital but I also 100% agree on cutting things down like he has been doing.  teachers,unions, state workers,libraries,schools,hospitals,public transportation,etc all take the hit from the cut backs not just the gay communities. Dont blame walker blame the politics in the years before that got this state in the trouble its currently in. He was elected to do exactly what he is doing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)