Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice about my daughter!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM
  • 27 Replies

My daughter has had 3 urinary tract infections in the last 3 months. She seemed better but last night had three accidents were she wet herself. This am her temp was 100. The base hardly ever has appts so if I take her today I have to go to urgent care, again. Once out of the three visits she grew out e coli but the last visit her urine didnt grow out any pathogens (but her urine dipstick had blood in it so the dr said she must have a uti). I dont know what I should do. I dont feel the urgent care is helping her. I dont want to be the mom that over reacts but three accidents in one evening and she is almost 4 and completely potty trained has me concerned. My dr doesnt have an appt until July 29th. What would you do? I feel so frustrated and worried about my daughter. I dont know what the best answer is. What you take her to the urgent care for the fourth time in a few months? Would you just keep calling the dr's office until you can get her in but possibly make her wait a few days. IDK. No answer seems like the best one to me :-(

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Susan0805
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM

BUMP!

momof2girls2407
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I wouldn't go to urgent care, I would go to the nearest ER. They could, hopefully do an ultrasound on her bladder to see if she is haveing urinary reflux.

COn8tive
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM
i would take her in and idk if she take bubble baths but they can cause uti
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Keilman1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I would definitely find a new doctor in the mean time I would have them call me if they have any cancellations.  A sick child can't wait 3 weeks for an appointment.  Look for a new doctor's office, they are usually easier to get into.  Is there another urgent care center you can take her to.  How about a Walgreens take care clinic? 

Susan0805
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM

we are military we dont have that luxury. We either see the dr's on base or go to urgent care. We looked into trying to go off base because at our last base we were aloud to go to a civilian pediatrician off base but they wouldnt allow us too here.

Quoting Keilman1:

I would definitely find a new doctor in the mean time I would have them call me if they have any cancellations.  A sick child can't wait 3 weeks for an appointment.  Look for a new doctor's office, they are usually easier to get into.  Is there another urgent care center you can take her to.  How about a Walgreens take care clinic? 

skileybug
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Can you ask if they have a cancellation list? maybe the meds they are giving her aren't strong enough or maybe she has kidney reflux which causes UTIS.... hope that helps good luck

Susan0805
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM

we never do bubble baths because I'm sensitive to them myself. We also only use baby soaps (like johnson's head to toe wash) so that its gentle for her. She is in the stage were she is wiping her own butt and sometimes she is careless and wipes back to front. We have discussed how to wipe properly a hundred and one times but with her short arms and long torso she still gets lazy sometimes. So IDK, this may be the reason she keeps getting them, or got it in the first place, but I cant figure out what to do to fix it. Even standing over her she still wipes wrong before I can correct her sometimes.

Quoting COn8tive:

i would take her in and idk if she take bubble baths but they can cause uti

Lindsey.m.speir
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Go to the docs office and say look my child is sick and i want to see the doc or the nurse prac. and tell them you are willing to wait till the end of the day when they can fit you in as last appt! Your child is what is most important. If they say that there is no way to get you in even for a few min then go to the ER

razmatazthespaz
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM

this

Quoting momof2girls2407:

I wouldn't go to urgent care, I would go to the nearest ER. They could, hopefully do an ultrasound on her bladder to see if she is haveing urinary reflux.

and a few tips from someone who has had more UTI then she can count:

Do not give her ANY acidic foods (tomatoes, oranges.. etc..)

plenty of water and cranberry juice

bakingsoda baths (as long as you are 100%sure it isn't a yeast infection)

have her change her undies often throughout the day, maybe even every time she uses the restroom. (this might be more psychological and just a ME thing but i have always found it more ocmfortable to do this)

You just can't be cool like me until you've married a wizard!

Photobucket

Susan0805
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I cant go to the er (well I can but I would have to pay for the visit, as it isnt an emergency and tricare has already gave me a referral for urgent care). She had uti's alot as a baby and did have a VCUG that was normal. I dont know if you can develop reflux later in life or if its something you are born with. If its the latter she doesnt have that.

Quoting momof2girls2407:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)