Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Proud mom of a little girl with Down Syndrome and Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello, does anyone have a child with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis? My sweet girl is having major issues and if it is not controlled soon she will endure shots 1-2 times per week. Does anyone know of ways to relieve pain? We do warm soaks and medication.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Try joining the group in my signature. They should be able to help!

cypris420
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

My daughter (about to turn 5) has systemic Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.  We are currently managing her symptoms with Naproxen orally twice a day, Methrotrexate injections once a week and Enbrel injections twice a week (so three injections weekly).  The meds have been wonderful.  She's gone from a child that couldn't even walk herself to the bathroom because of her pain, to a child that no one would ever guess has JRA.  We struggled more with the idea of the chemicals and medications more than we did with the idea of injections, to be honest.  We knew the injections would suck (and sometimes they do) but we were more concerned with the black box warnings on the meds.  However, the severity of her disease and the fact that she could very possibly have lifetime complications from it had it gone untreated, led us to decide to go with the medications. 

Other than the medications, the only things we've used on her are microwavable heat packs.  When she's feeling sore she'll ask for one, she tells us it helps. 

Good luck, I know exactly how difficult the decisions are that you have to make.

p.s. - I would suggest joining the JRA group on here, but the are really inactive and don't have much in the way of information to offer, unfortunately.

SP_Mama
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I don't have a child with JRA, but my sister was diagnosed at 13 yrs old, so I understand the complications.  I wish I knew of something to tell you, but unfortunately I don't.  Hope you find something that works for her, though.

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:12 PM

welcomeI am sorry your daughter is going through this. Maybe talk to the moms in the

Kids' Health Center

group!

i.heart.rachel
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM

BUMP!

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Hi! I'm sorry she's experiencing pain with her JRA. I hope you do find some advice to help her avoid the shots.

michaelabitner
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM

BUMP!

cypris420
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)