Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing your name after a divorce!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM
  • 53 Replies

I felt so strongly about changing my name back to my maiden name after my divorce. That is, until I talked to some of my friends from divorced parents. They admitted to being angry with their parents when they did change. They said it made them feel adbandoned and alone. My DS is two so when he's old enough to realize I have a different name, I don't want him to hate me. I'm not an H. Even when I was with my STB-Ex I didn't feel like one. His family wasn't really welcoming or anything.

I guess my question is, did you? Why or why not? Did it affect your relationship with your child(ren) if you did?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reese1206
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM
No I didn't change it. I just didn't feel the need to. Plus I wanted my son and I to have the same last name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by Tammie on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Im no help because I did change mine back but I didnt have any children. My last name is now different from my sons as Im not married to his father yet. He knows my last name and has never thought to ask why its different. He is three.

Lishes
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Not divorced but I would. I hope my children would be understanding of why I would go back to my maiden name.

azpreemiemom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM
My mom remarried a 2nd time and when she divorced, she changed back to my last name. It doesn't make sense to me. My dad is remarried, I am married and no longer have my fathers last name and eventually my sister will remarry to. I never remember caring if my mom had our last name or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1likeme
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM
I would recommend it. When I divorced my first husband I kept putting it off. When I remarried it took me four years to get my name changed to my married name.

It was a pain in the ass of epic preportions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mochasista
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I never changed my name in the first place.

Christina1285
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM

i didnt change my name after i divorced hunter's dad. i kept his last name for him. i am re-married now so of course i have a different name

mommy82808

When my divorce is final I will not change my last name back. I don't want a different one then my sons last name. Plus its to much work to change it back. My soon to be ex's fam doesn't talk to me at all. So I'm not a part of them. But this is who I am now. Does that make sense?

TwisterMonkey

I did not change my name because I hated my last name premarriage and I didnt want to have to go through all that paperwork.

When I got remarried I changed my name again and now I like it even better.  So if DH ever loses his mind and does something stupid or leaves I will keep this one too.

Christina1285
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM

4 years? why so long? I had mine changed as soon as i got remarried

Quoting 1likeme:

I would recommend it. When I divorced my first husband I kept putting it off. When I remarried it took me four years to get my name changed to my married name.

It was a pain in the ass of epic preportions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)