Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you cook when you are tight on funds?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM
  • 60 Replies

I need to trim down my grocery bill by a lot. Thanks for the help :)

Here is what I just made us for lunch

2 packets of chicken flavored Ramen

cook then drain noodles, 

ADD:

one can of cream of mushroom soup

half a bag of frozen mixed veggies

Cut up and cooked chicken breast

the flavor packets

Stir and serve.

We used to make this on cookout night at camp when I was a kid. We called it Chicken LBL

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jparker289
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM
Pasta and red sauce
Tacos
Hotdogs and mac n' cheese
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by Tammie on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM

tacos

spaghetti

and grilled chicken with white rice..

cheapness at its best :)

babycakesaz
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Spaghetti, hot dogs, homemade tuna noodle casserole, pancakes, mac and cheese, homemade cheese pizza (super cheap when you make your own dough) grilled cheese, cereal lol. Pretty much anything homemade is cheap. 

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM

If I need to cut back on my grocery budget I serve more non meat meals, beans and rices and whole grains etc. Or I stretch out the meats I have and use 1/2 the amount called for in a casserole recipe or things like that.

Cooking from scratch is much cheaper in the long run than buying "cheap" meals like boxed mac and cheese or hamburger helper.

mevsthem
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:47 PM

pasta, pasta,pasta! I also use a lot of frozen veggies, canned tuna,pizza( i make my own). We are always on a tight budget I also use as many coupons as possible!

starlighthippie
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I know this and I love and miss always cooking from scratch, but with DH deployed, a 14 month old and one on the way I don't always have the time or energy. I wish she was old enough that I could get her into cooking with me :)

Quoting SuperPickle:

If I need to cut back on my grocery budget I serve more non meat meals, beans and rices and whole grains etc. Or I stretch out the meats I have and use 1/2 the amount called for in a casserole recipe or things like that.

Cooking from scratch is much cheaper in the long run than buying "cheap" meals like boxed mac and cheese or hamburger helper.

BabyFetus Ticker

kidkrazyinAK
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I will be the oddball here...when I am broke and can not afford to buy meat we eat salmon and halibut. To most people this is a very expensive dinner, but we catch it ourselves and freeze it all summer to last through the winter. The only fish I have ever bought is canned tuna and frozen tilapia.

We also eat a lot of potatoes, pasta, and eggs when we are having financial issues.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:02 PM

14 months is old enough! Hand her some measuring cups or some pot lids and spoons and let her play! It is not exactly "helping" but getting her in the kitchen. I have 3 boys and they have all been in the kitchen with me since they could toddle LOL.. You just have to get into a routine of cooking times. I suggest also when you DO have the extra time and energy prepare some meals for the freezer or pantry so you can pull things out quick for when you dont.

Things like Homemade Hamburger Helper are good mixes for the pantry

http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-hamburger-helper/

Or here are a bunch of freezable meals

http://dinnersinthefreezer.com/

Quoting starlighthippie:

I know this and I love and miss always cooking from scratch, but with DH deployed, a 14 month old and one on the way I don't always have the time or energy. I wish she was old enough that I could get her into cooking with me :)

Quoting SuperPickle:

momof4boyz1girl
by Diamond Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Spaghetti

Pancakes and eggs

Tacos

Grilled cheese and tomato soup

Vegetable soup

Chili

FooLynRoo
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Pasta

all shapes sizes forms and combinations there of

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)