Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Caylee's Law gains Momentum 5 states to represent bills

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM
  • 26 Replies

We asked our Facebook fans if they'd support "Caylee's Law."

"Reasonable and sane people already report missing children ASAP, the kind who don't won't start because of a new law." - Anne Meier Hoy, Wilmington, NC

"It's a disgrace that she waited five minutes, much less 30 days to report her child missing." - Angel Hill, Huntsville, AL

"If a parent does not report a missing child within minutes of finding them missing they should be charged with a crime. Caylee lost on all accounts and did not receive the justice she deserved." - Barbara Lemons, Sturdivant, MS

"It is unconscionable for a parent to delay notifying the authorities of the death of their child," said state Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore, OK, who plans to introduce a version of the bill during the state's next legislative session in 2012.

Caylee Anthony was missing for more than a month before authorities were notified by Casey's mother, Cindy Anthony.

"Most parents would immediately notify authorities if their child had gone missing. Any delay could endanger the life of the child and, in the case of a child's death, make it that much harder to collect evidence."

Wesselhoft says he's researching the best way to approach the bill, but is considering giving parents 24 hours to report the death of a child. Parents would have 48 hours to notify authorities about a missing child under the age of 12.

Legislators in Alabama, Florida, Kentucky and West Virginia have followed suit, drafting similar bills.

Kentucky State Rep. Richard Henderson, D, has pre-filed a bill for the 2012 session, giving parents 12 hours to report a missing child.

"We're going to push this through for the memory of Caylee Anthony and hopefully somewhere in the scope of things, it might be a deterrent for someone who has ill thoughts toward a child," he said.

While laws may not stop parents from failing to report a missing or deceased child, supporters say it does create an avenue to prosecute them, an option that wasn't on the table when Casey Anthony failed to notify authorities about Caylee's disappearance.

"Placing a law on the books requiring parents and guardians to report missing children who are in significant danger in a timely manner will ensure that parents are held accountable for their actions. It will also assure that we put justice on the side of those among us who are most vulnerable," said Rep. Bill Hager, R - Boca Raton, FL, who plans to introduce similar legislation.

Supporters of such legislation say a law would give some measure of justice to 2-year-old Caylee.

"That precious child needs to have her name honored. Unfortunately there was no law to save her, but I'm up for something to prevent this from ever happening again," said Dana Renee Harris via Facebook.

Casey Anthony is set to be released from jail July 17, according to CNN. Convicted of four counts of lying to police, she received credit for the time she already served awaiting trial.

"It's sad to even have to take a law like this in consideration. It should come naturally to parents to report their children missing the moment they go missing," said Jessica Rodriguez-Gamez of Lubbock, TX. "Parents who don't report their children missing should also be charged with neglect of a child. Because every second that your child is missing is a step away from not finding them."

Copyright 2011 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

http://www.ksla.com/story/15043873/momentum-builds-for-caylees-law

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sherry132
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I am praying for this law!

adrianasmommy07
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Awesome! And my state is one of them!

kristy0833
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Cool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TygerLily62
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_dl6
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:50 PM

i can't beleive it has to become a law because for most parents it's a givin, but under the circumstances with this case it MUST BECOME A LAW TO PREVENT FUTURE VERDICTS LIKE THIS 100%

Somewoman.on.cm
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I don't get this law...

missing according to whom?

the parents?

wouldn't we only need this law for the murdering parents that wouldn't report it to begin with?

and if that's the case, missing according to them?

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Woo Hoo which state? I was born in Oklahoma :)

Quoting adrianasmommy07:

Awesome! And my state is one of them!

Somewoman.on.cm
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I get the sentiment but not the logistics...

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM

It would be a felony that would carry longer sentences than a single year. The point is that if someone were to do the same and not report a child missing or hurt, the parent could go to jail for a very long time.

And there are more parents who don't report it than most of us would like to think.

It would probably be used in cases where the child is eventually found dead, either by accident, or by a later missing child report.

Quoting Somewoman.on.cm:

I don't get this law...

missing according to whom?

the parents?

wouldn't we only need this law for the murdering parents that wouldn't report it to begin with?

and if that's the case, missing according to them?

PurplePieguy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM

My state is one of them. I'm in WV.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)