Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you have that many kids.....

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM
  • 49 Replies

Is it really possible to not know where they 100% of the time?

I only have one, but my sister has 5, the youngest being 3 year old twins. The local news a woman was just arraigned in the death of her 3 yr old son, whom she thought was somewhere in their house, and the little boy wandered outside and locked himself into a car, where he couldn't get out. They found him 3 hours later (one of the sisters) not breathing.

I say she's guilty. How can a mom not notice the child disappearing for three hours? My sister says it's happened to her, she thinks they are all in the house and then found one of the twin in the backyard. So her opinion is that mom should not be charged on the death of the child.

Opinions?

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/cameron-128561-rodriguez-isabel.html

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iloveoj
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM

bump!

Kodysmommy928
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Didn't someone post something like this about their 3 year old getting outside and and into the car just this morning?

AMsMommy212
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I think I remember hearing that story :-/ Hard for me to say, as I only have 1 myself... but I can't imagine losing track of him for THAT long... but if you're busy doing other things  and they aren't bugging you.. I guess I could see how it could happen.

What are they charging her with?

momof2gingers
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM
I don't really know. I've babysitting, so I have 5 boys in the house right now, and I do silent head counts every few minutes, but I'm just paranoid. I suppose if you are around that many kids 24/7 you might let your guard down, but still I would notice a 3 y/o was missing before an hour was up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM
I dunno.....three hours seems like an awfully long time....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvhubandbabys
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Sad... :( but doesn't mean large families can't keep tabs on all their kids. Some parents can only handle one or two (haha or barely handle) while some moms seem to have no issues with 5, 6, or 7 kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gilbertgrl627
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:39 PM

When I can't hear my kids, I go find them. And if I couldn't find them in the house, I'd panic and call 911. Every door to the outside had a lock that the kids couldn't open. Now we're in an apartment, and there are only so many places to go. We have handle covers on all the doors leading to the outside (3 total), so the kids can't get out.

The mother definitely should be charged. I don't care if you have 20 kids....if you notice one of your children- especially a small child- missing for more then 20 minutes, and don't think anything of it, you should be charged. Hell, even when my kids are sleeping I check on them every 10 minutes or so. I want to make sure that they're not awake and playing.

tdoubleday04
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM

their are periods of time when i don't know where all 3 are EXACTLY in my house, but I know they can't get out and NOT FOR 3 FRAKIN HOURS!!! maybe 15-25 minutes.  I can always hear them though.

mommyofamanda8
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM
Bump
ElleDiem
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I have three kids & I say it doesn't matter... I could have twenty & I would know if one of them went outside. But, my kids know better than to open doors without my permission.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)