Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Excuse me while I try to offend you for a moment...

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM
  • 48 Replies

Poll

Question: Which offended you?

Options:

all

none

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 119

View Results

Which, if any, of these statements do you find offensive?

#1 I didn't circumsise my Son because i believe doing it would violate his human rights

#2 I circumcised my son because I believe its unclean not to

#3 I breast fed in public because I believe it to be my right and what is best for my baby

#4 I didn't breast feed in public because it might make other people uncomfortable and I didn't want to do that

#5 I breast fed my child because I felt it was the best for them and formula wouldn't be as healthy for my child

#6 I formula fed my child because I felt uncomfortable breastfeeding and it didn't feel breast milk was the best for my child.

*Thanks for all the replies. I was just wanting to illustrate that 9 times out of 10, even if its not worded as delicately as the examples above, people are making statements about their own beliefs not making judgements about yours. That maybe sometimes we need to give people the benefit of the doubt that instead of assuming the implication is that your choices are wrong but that they are merely explaining the thinking behind their own actions.

Offense is an emotional reaction to something. Like anger or frustration. We do have a choice to act on it or not.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piercedbeauty21
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I voted #4 bc I bf my dd in public and it would always bother the piss outta me when people would stare at me like I was nuts! If other people were uncomfortable, they could've walked away :) I would NEVER jeopardize my dd eating bc of what other people might think or feel.

PNutsMomma
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I circed my son. His daddy made the decision because he's the one with the dick. And FF both of mine. Cause guess what? My tits, my business. And cause I didn't want to BF.

And I still fucking love you Canuck. Even though you stopped stalking me properly.

ashellbell
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM
None offend me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:51 PM

None of them....to each their own.  People have their reasons for the choices they make....doesn't mean I will always agree with their choices, or their reasons for them, but it isn't my choice to make for them.

Now, if any of those started with "You..." (as though someone was offending me, personally) I would have more of a problem with it. 

I can say "I wouldn't do something and this is why"....but that should not be taken as though I expect others to agree with me or that I am trying to offend people who don't make the same choices I make.

ElleDiem
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I put #3 because it shows complete disregard to other people in public. Nobody wants to see your breasts when they are at the damn mall! Now, if you're wearing a shawl or BF cover of some kind, have at it & kudos to you for doing what's best for your baby.

:)

ETA: None of the statements offend me, but performing the act in #3 would offend me.

Come visit my garden video blog!
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsEllediem

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM

None of them offend me.

Each one is a statement of what each person might or  might not do and why.

I don't understand why it would/should bother me what everyone else thinks and/or does.

epoh
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM
#2 because it insinuates that uncut males are unclean.

As far as I'm concerned, the only people that are unclean with no concept of hygiene.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM

None, I don't care what other mothers do, well, unless they are abusive or something like that.

With light and love

one_on_the_way
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Quoting piercedbeauty21:

I voted #4 bc I bf my dd in public and it would always bother the piss outta me when people would stare at me like I was nuts! If other people were uncomfortable, they could've walked away :) I would NEVER jeopardize my dd eating bc of what other people might think or feel.

Yes, but #4 is not saying "you shouldn't breastfeed in public b/c it makes people uncomfortable"....it is from the perspective of the person making the decision.  Someone may say "I won't breastfeed in public b/c it may make others uncomfortable"...that doesn't make them wrong.  Maybe they just plan their outings more carefully around their child's eating schedule....or they find a private place to breastfeed.  There is nothing wrong with a mother who makes that decision.  It doesn't take away anything from you.

Charweba
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Quoting ashellbell:

None offend me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)