Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please try to limit the bashing...I am looking for advice

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:08 PM
  • 58 Replies

I need advice about what to do with my three year old.  She just completely snapped about 10 minutes ago because I turned off the TV [because she hit me when she didn't want to watch what was on].  I was about to discipline her for her physical outburst, when she just went bat-sh*t crazy on me...kicking, punching, screaming, pinching, throwing things, etc.  I was able to restrain her [its sad that I had to say that], and I have put her in her room because I don't think it would be best to discipline her when I'm this upset.

But my question is...what would be the best approach to her discipline?  A spanking?  Losing all her toys?  What??  She has never been like this before, and I want to make a severe impact so she knows that this is absolutely unacceptable. 

Please, any advice will do!  And I don't need any criticism of my parenting right now..thanks.

shrugging

Thank you ladies for all the great advice you've given me so far.  I really, really appreciate it!

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM
Id spank her butt and take tv away
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fallenangel7386
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM
You handled it well. Maybe take away tv for a couple days and explain it to her why
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26

Is she a younger or older 3 (almost to 4)?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM

first off is this the first time she did this??

If so, a good talking too and grounding from her favorite toys and maybe no special treats for at least a week and certainly no tv for a week!!!

southern_momof2
Oh my....I don't know, I have never had to deal with anything like that., Ava has been having small meltdowns, but nothing like that and I usually give her time-out in her room, alone and let her calm down then we talk about it.

Good luck and I hope you figure out a way to stop the behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Somewoman.on.cm
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I would go up to a 6 min. time out while I sat there and talked to her...after she composed herself in her room...

art.diva
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM

She'll be 4 in October.  And she very rarely watches TV...maybe two or three times a week [including movies].

Quoting jillbailey26:

Is she a younger or older 3 (almost to 4)?

chiquis
by Diamond Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:12 PM
I think I would take away all toys and make her earn them back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CuSukha
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I think a week is too much for a child that young but I think no tv or toys for the rest of today and tomorrow should be fine. And also explain why that hurts you and your feelings and make her apologize.

suark
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Good for you for stepping back and waiting on the discipline. I am having to learn to do that as well and its hard for me. I think taking all of her toys is a good idea. Make her earn them back . Good Luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)