Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Odd Question, Not meant to be rude...for the ladies of Color

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:20 PM
  • 39 Replies

this question is mostly for the ladies of color that live in predominately black neighborhoods....

My husband and I are looking for a bigger home and most of the really nice homes in our price range, happen to be in predominately black neighborhoods. How do I know this? Well, before we bought the house we are in, we looked at a foreclosure in a really nice community neighborhood. (didn't get it because it needed a lot of work. The previous owners didn't take care of it very well) The houses were all new and I noticed when we arrived, by looking at the people who were outside throughout, that we were the only white people around. We waited for our agent for probably 30 mins, so we kind of checked out the neighborhood by glancing around to see what we might have been living by. Now, I didn't mind at all. One young man came by to try to sell us some books for his school fundraiser. He didn't know we didn't live there, but he was really nice. And the people across the street said "how you doing?" when they got into their car. 

We are not a prejudice family at all!!! But we do wonder how others in the neighborhood would feel, living near us...the only white people around. How would you feel? We are back looking in the market and I'm seeing some really nice houses pop up in that same neighborhood. I mean there are some gorgeous houses there!!!  $155,000

$155,000 ^

$140,000

My husband and I just don't know if we'd fit in. The street we live on now, is pretty well mixed but the newer houses on the other end are mostly black families. I think I've seen 1 white family up there and 1 white older couple. And my kids and I take walks around here all the time. There is another neighborhood that we walk to, right around the corner that is predominately black as well. I've seen 3 white people back there, out of probably 30 houses. There's 3 streets that go off of one street thats connected to ours.  It's like their own little community back there. All the houses look the same and were all built in 2000-2003. There were a few for sale recently, but I kept turning them down due to not liking 2 story homes, but nowadays, if we want a house bigger than 1800sqft, we have to settle for a 2 story home. So...what are your thoughts? I really hope no one is offended by this. I love everyone of every color. I just wondered how YOU would feel if a white family moved into your predominately black neighborhood?

Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, erfing, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, organic servin and eatin, as Green as I can get, wahm of 2. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers and she's still breastfeeding and rear facing!!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers and he's still in a 5 pt harness!! 

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hisservent
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM

bump

Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, erfing, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, organic servin and eatin, as Green as I can get, wahm of 2. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers and she's still breastfeeding and rear facing!!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers and he's still in a 5 pt harness!! 

Charweba
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Idk. I don't live in a predominately black neighborhood and I never have. Every neighborhood I had lived in it has always been the other way around, we were the only black family.  Our now neighborhood is mixed with white, black and hispanic families so I'm probably not much help to you. However those houses are very beautiful!

iamcafemom83
by Rah-Rah on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:04 PM

if its a good neighborhood with good neighbors, who cares?

LilGina
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Against popular opinion in this group black ppl can be nice!!! lol Not all of them a ghetto gangbangers lol

Astaroth
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilGina
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

also yes beautiful houses

.Sarah.Marie.
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

bump

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I would welcome you.

mamacifuni
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM
where do you live where giant houses are so cheap?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MTATMA
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM
She wasn't saying that.

Quoting LilGina:

Against popular opinion in this group black ppl can be nice!!! lol Not all of them a ghetto gangbangers lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)