Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids gone for the summer!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM
  • 21 Replies

I have 3 children. My daughter is 18. My sons are 14 and 25. My oldest son Matthew, does not live at home. My daughter is at that stage where she is always busy doing stuff (even though as some of you may have read she is really sick right now). My son Neil, is at a program called Upward Bound. It is an amazing program. It is a summer school/college readiness program. It will give him a chance to meet new people, get ready for college, and all together have an awesome summer! So that leaves just me and the dogs home while my husband is at work.

My husband drives bus during the week, and does security on the weekends. He can sometimes work over 60 hours in a week. I am going stir crazy!!!!! I miss my kids being little. I was never one of those moms that complained about the kids being loud, or overactive. I always went to their games, concerts, and just hang out with their friends. I have always been the disciplinarian of the house, but both my husband and I are favorites amongst our children's friends. We rarely sat home and did nothing. I am disabled, and cannot walk very far. So here I sit on this damn computer, wishing to hear a kid yell, or someone to surprise me.

What do you all do when your kids are gone?

I really do not know what to do with myself. I babysat when I was 10. Then my mom had a baby when I was 13. I took care of her (just because I am a baby person). Then I had my 1st son at 19. I have never been childless.

banging head into wall So next to banging your head on a brick wall, what does everyone do with their kids gone during the summer?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
connietrrll
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

BUMP!

yezay
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Could you find a way to do desk work so you and your DH could enjoy time together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nay26
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

My kids are always home, so I don't have any advice. But here's a bump :)

connietrrll
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I envy you!

Quoting Nay26:

My kids are always home, so I don't have any advice. But here's a bump :)

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM

my boys are never gone   my oldest was away from me for 2 1/2 days and i was lost with out

connietrrll
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:00 PM

My son only left on Tuesday! I am already going crazy!

Quoting ilovemyson2002:

my boys are never gone   my oldest was away from me for 2 1/2 days and i was lost with out

pasteeater
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:05 PM
I know how you feel, in a way. My oldest is 25 and my youngest is 13. Since I was 8 I've been rasing babies. My mom kept having kids but was always out drinking. We would be at home for days alone. Now my youngest is 13 and he's at home but its not the same as having little ones. Do you have hobbies? I crochet toys and blankets for charity. That way I still have a hand in making a baby or child`s life better. You could volunteer with kids or animals too. :) Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connietrrll
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Unfortunately (I sound like a whinea$$) I am disabled. I cannot do anything that requires lifting, or bending. I cannot walk very far, and so much more. But I have thought about reading for kids at the library. I also love to take pictures. I just can't do much for very long periods of time!

My mom worked, my father drank. So, I stayed home (not from school) and took care of my sister. I could not imagine taking care of her full time like that.

Quoting pasteeater:

I know how you feel, in a way. My oldest is 25 and my youngest is 13. Since I was 8 I've been rasing babies. My mom kept having kids but was always out drinking. We would be at home for days alone. Now my youngest is 13 and he's at home but its not the same as having little ones. Do you have hobbies? I crochet toys and blankets for charity. That way I still have a hand in making a baby or child`s life better. You could volunteer with kids or animals too. :) Good luck!

-Shelley-
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM

You can borrow mine!!

connietrrll
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Drop them off! lol

Quoting -Shelley-:

You can borrow mine!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)