Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/o nurses comments post

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM
  • 56 Replies
Many, many of you said that the nurse was out of line. Why? If a nurse is against abortion, she is allowed to say that, and no one could report her, she is protected under the law. But if a nurse says the opposite, then she is evil and rude? For those that didn't read the post, the nurse said it isn't even a baby yet. I'm not sure how far along the op of that post was, but medically, the nurse was correct, depending on how far along a woman is, it is an embryo or fetus. Calling it a baby is an emotional term.
While I understand that it hurt, why should the nurse be reported? If a nurse can say abortion is murder, why can a nurse not also say that it isn't yet a baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TwisterMonkey
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM

My view is that she shouldn't say either.  She is there to care for the patient, not impose her own personal views, whatever they may be.

Sparkey6987
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM

It's called tact.

CharmedP
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM
I completely agree!! I was thinking the same thing! I had an abortion in a hospital, and one of the nurses said that she could not commit murder. I just said please leave. It's her opinion. But yeah, if someone had posted a nurse saying that, I bet the ladies here would have been in support of the nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MelodieLenora
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM

can of wormspopcorn

melissa632
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM
Exactly.

Quoting TwisterMonkey:

My view is that she shouldn't say either.  She is there to care for the patient, not impose her own personal views, whatever they may be.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sparkey6987
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM

It's also completely unprofessional to voice your opinions like that. She would be reprimanded for it, if reported.

kiddycat73
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM
As a nurse, we are taught in nursing school that expressing our personal beliefs and opinions to a patient is unprofessional, and it should not be done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southernjess3
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:11 PM

i once had a nurse call me young and stupid when i was a pregnant teen. my dad made her cry. then we never saw her again. im sick of rude ass nurses. if you deal with people, be nice. its not your job to say what you believe in. you get paid to be helpful and reassuring. not a bitch

theirmommy88
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Reported, no. 

But she should have been more sympathetic. I figure she honestly didn't know that some women really feel there is a baby, a person in there as soon as they see two lines on a stick. She could have just been more comforting. Though, I do think she was trying... 

twisted_charlie
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:12 PM

It's not professional, that's why. Nurses are not there to provide their personal opinions. Nurses have to be aware of certain sensitivities on subjects including this one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)