Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

83 year old woman killed by skateboarding teen

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM
  • 28 Replies

What do you think should happen to this teen for skateboarding illegally and it resulted in the death of this woman? (This article said he was arrested, but other reports said he has not been arrested yet, but there is an investigation underway)

Woman killed by teen on skateboard

Posted: Jul 07, 2011 1:54 PM CDT Updated: Jul 07, 2011 1:55 PM CDT
Her husband, George Slettehaugh, said the two had been together so long he didn't know what to do without her. (Source: KTVU/CNN) Her husband, George Slettehaugh, said the two had been together so long he didn't know what to do without her. (Source: KTVU/CNN)

CAPITOLA, CA (KTVU/CNN) - An elderly California woman is dead after witnesses said a skateboarder hit her as she was crossing the street.

"I heard a thump and looked up and saw a woman lying in the street on the curb in a pool of blood and a kid saying, 'Ma'am, ma'am are you alright?'" witness Richard Amend said.

Amend is a tourist from Colorado who called 911. He said the teenager was riding the skateboard with earphones on.

"He wasn't crying or anything like that, just a little bit dazed and a little overwhelmed by the whole situation," he said.

It was a daily routine for 83-year-old Maryann Slettehaugh to walk down to the beach from her Capitola home.

She was part of a group of elderly women who called themselves 'the beach girls.'

"This poor lady walking through here and she gets nailed by a skateboarder. They're coming down the hill, they're flying around here like crazy. Nobody does anything about it until somebody gets killed," resident Toma Pirslin said.

At her home a flag was flying half-staff.

"We've been together for so long that I don't know what to do alone," her husband, George Slettehaugh, said.

They met in junior high and were married for 64 years. George said his wife was hit by a flying skateboard 15 years ago.

"She was leery of them and tried to avoid them, kept watching for them all the time. We've been together so long, I really miss her," he said.

The 17-year-old was not injured but was arrested after the incident.

Copyright 2011 KTVU via CNN. All rights reserved.

Watching the video of her husband just broke my heart.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43687185#43670817

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
5-kids
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM
Awww, that poor family!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dsptchmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM
I think he needs to do some serious community service, fined the hell out of, and his parents should never let him see the light of day until he moves out of their house. He will have to live with his guilt...that will be the harshest punishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SNA
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I feel so bad for her husband :(

Andreamarie76

My heart is breaking for them   :(

CheshireCat420
:-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof2boyskj
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:23 PM
So sad 
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfoursonsks
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I have a 17 year old son. I keep asking myself, "What if my son did this?"  Just thinking about that is making me cry.  It would be horrible for him to have to deal with. He is a very caring, sensitive kid.  But, even though he was my son, I would expect him to be punished pretty harshly for taking someone's life by acting irresponsibly.

Quoting dsptchmommy:

I think he needs to do some serious community service, fined the hell out of, and his parents should never let him see the light of day until he moves out of their house. He will have to live with his guilt...that will be the harshest punishment.

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Oh, that poor man!!!! :(

I feel sorry for the kid, too.....he was being stupid but I'm sure meant no harm.  He must feel so guilty now.

As far as his punishment, I would need some more details on what happened, as well as information about the skateboarding law.

two4one
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I agree. I think the guilt of having caused someone's death will eat him up.

Quoting dsptchmommy:

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

koolest_mom_of4
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM
How sad...where does it say he was illegally skateboarding?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)