Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to tell if somebody loves you

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:03 PM
  • 4 Replies

How To Tell If Somebody Loves You

Jul. 5, 2011
 Ryan O’Connell is a 24 year-old writer based in the East Village, New York.

Somebody loves you if they pick an eyelash off of your face or wet a napkin and apply it to your dirty skin. You didn’t ask for these things, but this person went ahead and did it anyway. They don’t want to see you looking like a fool with eyelashes and crumbs on your face. They notice these things. They really look at you and are the first to notice if something is amiss with your beautiful visage!

Somebody loves you if they assume the role of caretaker when you’re sick. Unsure if someone really gives a shit about you? Fake a case of food poisoning and text them being like, “oh my god, so sick. need water.” Depending on their response, you’ll know whether or not they REALLY love you. “That’s terrible. Feel better!” earns you a stay in friendship jail; “Do you need anything? I can come over and bring you get well remedies!” gets you a cozy friendship suite. It’s easy to care about someone when they don’t need you. It’s easy to love them when they’re healthy and don’t ask you for anything beyond change for the parking meter. Being sick is different. Being sick means asking someone to hold your hair back when you vomit. Either love me with vomit in my hair or don’t love me at all.

Somebody loves you if they call you out on your bullshit. They’re not passive, they don’t just let you get away with murder. They know you well enough and care about you enough to ask you to chill out, to bust your balls, to tell you to stop. They aren’t passive observers in your life, they are in the trenches. They have an opinion about your decisions and the things you say and do. They want to be a part of it; they want to be a part of you.

When you have gone so far that you can't manage one more step, you've gone just half the distance that you're capable of.  -Irish Proverb

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MultiPara
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM

BUMP!

WINLPHZTLOML
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:20 PM

BUMP!

CallieLynsMommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM

My husband is wonderful and truly loves me. He became my caretaker when I became ill with bone cancer. He has cleaned up my vomit, cleaned out bed pans, helped me bathe, fed me, helped me learn to walk again, helps me get dressed daily...he has literally done everything. I know I am so very, very lucky to have him in my life. I don't know what I'd do without him.

WINLPHZTLOML
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM

thats so wonderful my hubs held my hair back when i would throw up. (((((hugs)))) momma

Quoting CallieLynsMommy:

My husband is wonderful and truly loves me. He became my caretaker when I became ill with bone cancer. He has cleaned up my vomit, cleaned out bed pans, helped me bathe, fed me, helped me learn to walk again, helps me get dressed daily...he has literally done everything. I know I am so very, very lucky to have him in my life. I don't know what I'd do without him.

When you have gone so far that you can't manage one more step, you've gone just half the distance that you're capable of.  -Irish Proverb

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)