Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One month old DS admitted AGAIN.. need advice! Help?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM
  • 21 Replies

Okay, guys.. so.. last week my newest addition, Drake, was laying in my lap eating. I noticed on leg was purple. Thought, hmm, that's strange. It wasn't cold, he didn't seem bothered, so I just watched it for a bit. After three hours when it was STILL a purpley mottled color, I called my mom who said she had no clue, then I called the pedi's. I was then told to go straight to the ED, don't pass go, don't collect 200 dollars. I'm scared poopless, right? I get there, he's admitted immediately and after 24 hours (multiple blood draws and exams later) he was released. They declared it 'vascular instability' and said he'd probably outgrow it. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Type 9) and sometimes that can happen. Oh, and as a side note, he wasn't admitted because of his leg.. no, they decided he had bronchiolitis... even though his respirations were normal and he wasn't coughing or anything... *shrugs* I still don't get that.

Fast forward  one week to today. I go in for his one month well baby and I'm told his blood cultures were positive for bacteria and they THINK the sample was contaminated between the draw and the vial, so it's probably a false positive... BUT they need to readmit him and give him IV antibiotics. Oh, and also, he's eating too much and is giving himself reflux (WTF? I feed on demand formula and I thought babies self regulated.. they eat until they're full, right?).  Long story short, I had to go pick up DH from work and then we were right back at the hospital.. in the same freaking room. *sigh*

DH is staying the night with him tonight... I stayed last time and honestly, I just can't handle anymore of the hospital. I feel HORRIBLY guillty. Here's what I need advice on:

A) Has anyone else heard of a baby over-eating and giving themselves reflux?

B) DH called and said that DS cried for an hour and his 'nerves couldn't take it'. If DS continued to cry, he'd need me to pack up ODS (that means waking him up) driving to the hospital, taking DS out of the van up to the room and switching places. He says he only asks for help when he really needs it, which is generally true, but in this case, he really hasn't been hands-on with the baby. I think he's afraid of hurting him. He was afraid before because YDS is so small and now because he has an IV in his head and he's stressed... YDS is picking that up and is crying. I feel like I should be able to count on DH to stay with his son at the hospital without my being there. Am I wrong in feeling that way?

C) I'm not comfortable with the idea of giving an IV of antibiotics just for a precaution when they don't even think he HAS anything, which is what they're doing. I mean, I'd rather be safe than sorry.. but it just seems like over kill to me. They're also cathing YDS and they've had to do more blood draws, too.

If I left anything out, let me know, I'll be happy to answer.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:41 PM

No answers - yikes - so scary - best of luck!

BananaMuffins
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM
1: When my daughter was 3 months old our pediatrician said she had reflux from eating too fast and too much at one time. She was never hospitalized for it though..I just changed her feeding around (fed her more times per day, but less at one time..and slower) and the problem corrected itself.

2: I think your husband probably just feels overwhelmed and I think anytime a child is hospitalized both of the parents, if possible, should be there supporting each other. However, because you have another child, I understand it may not be possible for you to ask someone to come watch him overnight so you can be together..and your husband should understand that, even if he's overwhelmed. :(

3: I agree, I wouldn't be comfortable with that either. Are they sure it's just reflux? For them to do blood draws, overnight hospital stays, etc. it seems like it would be something more serious..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyranightshade
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Thanks! I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with the kid. I mean, they saw a PFO on his echo, but that isn't uncommon... especially when they're pretty sure he has E-DS, too. It can contribute to some minor heat abnormalities. In fact, DH who DOESN'T have it, has a weird murmur. So, there was a big chance something would be strange with the kid. lol He's still mellow, sleeping three to four hours at a stretch, snuggling, not crying or fussing... you know, when they AREN'T shoving needles into him. :/ But I'm STILL worried.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

isaiahsmomma86
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Same damn thing happened to my son when he was born, the first day we were home from the hospital they called me and told me to bring him in ASAP, that he had some infection in his blood that it was "serious and he could die if you dont bring him in" (seriously! they said that to me!) he got several iv antibiotics for THREE days. (i was a MESS! my first baby and i'm being told he could die! and there is nothing worse than staying in the hospital anyway) On the third day the doc came in and said, "oops, sample was contaminated, sorry" and that was it! I was pissed! I'm all for better safe than sorry, but when its iv antibiotics through my new born baby and it's completely unnecessary in the end, idk, just wtf. 

Anyway, Why not have him call a nurse to help calm the baby down? men are so strange with little babies, it would make more sense to me for him to get a nurse rather than having you get your other child up for you to go "save the day" lol. 

And i have a friend who's newborn was "over eating" and getting reflux i guess, idk how a baby over eats though, not like you're forcing him to eat, he eats when he's hungry! I'm sorry you're going through this momma! ((hugs))

.betty.white.
by bilf on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyranightshade
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:51 PM

2.) He just texted me saying he was sorry for wigging, he was just overwhelmed. Trust me, I WISH we could both be there together. I feel AWFUL for not. But there isn't anyone who can keep my other DS overnight. We'll be picking DH and YDS up together tomorrow, though.

3.) The blood culture was drawn last week and came up positive for bacteria. They think it was a contamination in the vial it was in... the reflux is just a sort of side note. I'd never heard of a baby overeating. The nurse said he should be eating about an ounce an hour and YDS is eating about six ounces every three and a half or four hours and he jumped from the 15% to the 47% in two weeks. lol He's a CHUNKER. They're calling the 'purple leg incident' a fluke vascular instability. I think my post is all jumbled because I don't remember when I slept more than two hours. lol

Quoting BananaMuffins:

1: When my daughter was 3 months old our pediatrician said she had reflux from eating too fast and too much at one time. She was never hospitalized for it though..I just changed her feeding around (fed her more times per day, but less at one time..and slower) and the problem corrected itself.

2: I think your husband probably just feels overwhelmed and I think anytime a child is hospitalized both of the parents, if possible, should be there supporting each other. However, because you have another child, I understand it may not be possible for you to ask someone to come watch him overnight so you can be together..and your husband should understand that, even if he's overwhelmed. :(

3: I agree, I wouldn't be comfortable with that either. Are they sure it's just reflux? For them to do blood draws, overnight hospital stays, etc. it seems like it would be something more serious..

lyranightshade
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM

YIKES! I'd be sooo pissed off if they set the alarms off telling me DS could die. But the pedi actually told me she didn't think anything was wrong... this is more precautionary than anything else, but they HAVE to do another blood culture and a urine culture. THREE DAYS of that worry? Ugh. *hugs*

I told him to have the nurse come in and help.. .or hell, go to the nurses' station and tell them that he needs to go outside and get a breath of fresh air or smoke... Just calm down away from the baby and try it again. He'll figure it out. lol I do have to admit, YDS IS a total momma's boy.. hence the feelings of guilt.

And I'd never heard of th eovereating thing, either. He cries.. I change his diaper and offer a bottle. He either eats or he doesn't. lol I couldn't FORCE a kid to eat.. but I don't like the idea of limiting his food, either, like I was told I should. I was told to let him eat an ounce an hour.

Quoting isaiahsmomma86:

Same damn thing happened to my son when he was born, the first day we were home from the hospital they called me and told me to bring him in ASAP, that he had some infection in his blood that it was "serious and he could die if you dont bring him in" (seriously! they said that to me!) he got several iv antibiotics for THREE days. (i was a MESS! my first baby and i'm being told he could die! and there is nothing worse than staying in the hospital anyway) On the third day the doc came in and said, "oops, sample was contaminated, sorry" and that was it! I was pissed! I'm all for better safe than sorry, but when its iv antibiotics through my new born baby and it's completely unnecessary in the end, idk, just wtf. 

Anyway, Why not have him call a nurse to help calm the baby down? men are so strange with little babies, it would make more sense to me for him to get a nurse rather than having you get your other child up for you to go "save the day" lol. 

And i have a friend who's newborn was "over eating" and getting reflux i guess, idk how a baby over eats though, not like you're forcing him to eat, he eats when he's hungry! I'm sorry you're going through this momma! ((hugs))

lynnie_poo
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:58 PM

everything MUFFINs said is exactly what I would havwe said to you! WOW!

lyranightshade
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:59 PM

lol

It's so weird being here with just DS. He's asleep, the dogs are asleep... I.. I don't know what to do with myself. I feel like I should be making a bottle.. or diaper changes or something. Crap. I don't remember what to do with just one kid!

Quoting lynnie_poo:

everything MUFFINs said is exactly what I would havwe said to you! WOW!

lyranightshade
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Bump? Anyone else been told their baby is over eating?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)