Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Lump in a 3 year old's neck?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM
  • 19 Replies
My nephew got a grape sized lump in his neck....just out of the blue. No pain, no fever, etc.

My SIL took him to the urgent care and they said it is just a swollen lympnode, but she doesn't think it's that minor.

Has this ever happened to any of your little ones? I sort of think he may be working on getting a virus or something, but who knows.
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M.I.A...P.O.W
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Where on the neck is the lump?

OAmy
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:01 AM
Quoting M.I.A...P.O.W:

Where on the neck is the lump?

I'm not really sure....I didn't see him yesterday. I think they said the side, but more toward the back.
M.I.A...P.O.W
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Here is an image of lympnodes in the face and neck area. Chances are it probably is a swollen lymph. I would just keep an eye of it and any signs of illness.Here is an image of lympnodes in the face and neck area. Chances are it probably is a swollen lymph. I would just keep an eye of it and any signs of illness.

Thank you TheGreatCthulhu for the siggy!!!!

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM
Yup, my ds1 had one one the side of his neck. It was sore to the touch and accompanied a long fever. The infection had apparently settled in his lymph node. He eventually got better and the neck swelling went down. My kiddo hasn't been sick in years, but when he gets sick, he does it big... LOL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zadesmom1998
by Breezy on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM

My son had one about that age when he had a bacterial infection. They put him antibiotics and it was gone in like 3 days. Hopefully she can get him into his regular ped and they can figure it out better than an urgent care. 

FDNYwife
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM

My DS has one that you can notice on the back of his head and on his neck.

photomom1979
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM
My son had that at 3, it was a mass of infected tissue I believe. He was put on antibiotics. It was pretty scary at first!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:10 AM
My son is 5. He has what we thought was a lump on his neck, like up near his ear. My mom bugged the hell out of me to get it checked out. She said it was there since birth. I wasn't so sure. I took him to his quack doc (ex doc). He sent us for xrays. They came back neg. He said that's it. Xrays are neg, so it is nothing. I switched docs about a year ago and mentioned it to that doc. He sent us for blood work and to see a great ENT. The ENT checked it out and discovered it was a bu
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OAmy
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Thank you ladies!
berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Damn phone. Anyway... discovered it was a bunch of small lumps. He measured them. And said they could be from a past infection because the bloodwork was fine. We came back a few months later and nothing had changed. Oh and he has them on both sides of the neck. The ENT said they stand out so much because he is skinny. If you or your sis are worried defense get a second opinion. Can't hurt. Oh and I guess my son's were from an infection and they swelled and never unswelled. Good luck to your nephew. Lumps are scary

Quoting berlgirl1224:

My son is 5. He has what we thought was a lump on his neck, like up near his ear. My mom bugged the hell out of me to get it checked out. She said it was there since birth. I wasn't so sure. I took him to his quack doc (ex doc). He sent us for xrays. They came back neg. He said that's it. Xrays are neg, so it is nothing. I switched docs about a year ago and mentioned it to that doc. He sent us for blood work and to see a great ENT. The ENT checked it out and discovered it was a bu

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)