• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sister threatened to commit suicide. Again.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:04 AM
  • 8 Replies

A few months back, my sister attempted suicide by taking a whole bunch of Excedrin while her two children (ages 3 & 4) were in the next room. She ended up in the hospital for 2 days and then was sent to a mental health facility. I had her children, who are both out of control, during this time. I got them on a schedule, had them behaving, they were happy. She got out and took the children back. Within two weeks, they were out of control again.

I cut off most contact with her because of her constant need for drama and attention. I have given her chance after chance. She belittles me and my children. She even went so far as to say my beautiful little 3 year old daughter is ugly.She is constantly using people and expects everyone to be at her beck and call. She actually got mad at me because I decided not to send my dd to a preschool that I didnt like because I was supposed to be her kids ride there. I told her I found out some pretty bad stuff about the place and all she said was "Well, I guess my kids cant go to school now. Guess I'll have to quit too and take care of them"

She posts all of her business on facebook, like how their car got repoed and how they dont know what theyre going to do because no one will help them financially. Everyone is tired of helping them. She blows all of their money. They live in government assisted housing and they dont have many bills.

She is taking online classes but always post about how she's going to have to quit school because no one will babysit while she does her work. I told her that I have 3 children and a full time job, yet I have no problem doing my school work. I try to make suggestions of things the children could be doing while she's doing her school work but she always has a stupid reason that they cant do these things. Like, her kids are too bad and won't sit still, ect.

She has been taking Celexa since she got out of the facility and ran out Saturday. She put on facebook how she can't handle her kids and life. She then IMed me saying I needed to come take all the pills from her house now because she can't handle it all anymore. I was on my way to work. I did not go over there. I just told her that if she did anything dumb with her kids there then I would do everything in my power to make sure she never sees them again. She called me later at work and told me that she was having withdrawals from her meds and was passing out.

I am just so fed up. A mutual friend of ours told me just ignore her. She always does things like this and the minute you give her what she wants, she's fine.

I just don't know what to do anymore....

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
supermom2xlb
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:31 AM

BUMP!

queenamy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:33 AM

throw her in a room full of sunshine <3

mom2hailey08
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Sounds like she is crying out for help.

supermom2xlb
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Everyone has tried to help her but she uses people, takes what she wants and expects more and more..

Quoting mom2hailey08:

Sounds like she is crying out for help.

andiecheyenne
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:36 AM
I agree with your friend. A friend of mine did that a lot bc he knew I'd worry about him.. one time I challenged him and said "if you're gonna do it, do it. If not, grow the fck up." He's not done it since. *hug* I wish I had real advice for you.. best I got is tell her what I told my friend and if she tries it, follow your word. Those kids don't need to be around that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tlcawley
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Bless your heart!  Sounds like your sister doesn't know how lucky she is to have You as  her sister helping her out whenever you can, and you can in no way keep on giving into her demands expecting her to change.  If you keep on throwing the stick up in the air it's going to eventually fall back down and hit the ground.  That's exatly what she's been doing over and over again in her life expecting you to take the load off of her and give in to her demands, desires or wants.  She is your sister and I know you love her but sometimes it takes washing your hands of her to make her realize what she had in you.  Sometimes you do have to let someone free, if they come back willing and able to work at making things right the way they should be then... of course u want to believe her.  But words are just that.  She has to actually show you progress before you give into her.  I would get the kids from her.  It's not their problem their mother is acting like this and I image their all hurt and confused ... take control Auntie.  I hope things work out for you sweetie.  

Sandyr911
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Sometimes u just have to cut them off and walk away.  My sister is similar with the drama and always needing money and i finally just ggot fedd up.  She is almost 45 yrs old and still with some POS dude who is more important than her kids and her life will always be jacked up so I cant change her.

imamombygrace
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM

She could be going through withdrawals from Celexa and if that is part antidepressant, that can cause her to act/do irrational things.

I would have notified the authorities of her actions and let them deal with it. My Mom recently threatened suicide and then tried to follow through...I called the police and reported it. If she already has a history they will take her on a medical hold..no history they do have the right to release her, but at least you have started documenting it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)