Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guess your neighborhoods aren't as safe as you think

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:40 AM
  • 14 Replies

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44170843/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

For every mom who thinks my neighborhood is safe think again this was the next door neighbor.  Have you looked in your areas sex offendor registry? Do you know who they are in your neighborhood? I do  when I see them I know who they are and so do my kids. We can't protect them from every danger but we can be aware. Are you? Are we even sure who our neighbors are? Used to be you knew your neighbors I guess not anymore.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beerebelly
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Yes I have checked and there aren't any sex offenders in our immediate neighborhood.

jillbailey26

Yep and my neighbors are safe.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

beerebelly

*Well that have been caught anyway.

cs_1498
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM
No registered sex offender can legally live in my neighborhood. Our house is right next door to 2 different schools. Now unregistered is a whole other story but no way to check that one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessicaEOH
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:48 AM
I thought the story said he'd never been in trouble with the law...you never know who is riding around your 'safe' neighborhood...people snap and go crazy anywhere! Never leave your children unattended!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Yes I do, and there are no registered offenders on our street. HOWEVER!! I feel the need to point out...it is not only the ones who have been caught and who are now registered you have to worry about.

MarchMarie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM

enh... I know who the sex offenders are here in my town/neighborhood/area. I am more worried about the ones who havent been caught though, not that I should, because my kids are never in the care or alone with anyone that I couldnt trust with their life.

My neighborhood is pretty safe though. I worry more about the natural dangers (the woods and the river and the pond that are all within a hundred yards of my house) than people. My son is much more likely to run off and get lost or drown than be snatched by someone.

yezay
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:07 AM

I live in a very old neighborhood and every new neighbor who moves in is usually someone who already knows the neighborhood.  We like it safe and want to keep it that way.

chasinrainbows
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:12 AM
Sex offenders are not allowed to live in my neighborhood. However, I am aware there are sex offenders that just haven't been caught yet...which is why I watch my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southernswag
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Yep, I am very lucky to live in a community that is very small because of this we know every one'sbusiness. If the guy down the block was arrested for drunk and disorderly we know, if a kid is picked up for truancy, we know. It's the perk of small town life. We all know who the sex offenders are, where they live and the details of their crime. Also, all the complexes and most home owners require a federal/state back ground check upon renting and none that I know of will rent to a sex offender or felon. All the sex offenders live on the out skirts of town in seedy trailer parks, it's the only place they can live really.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)