• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I need a protective order

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:53 AM
  • 10 Replies

...but I might have to call the whole thing off.  I can't get a babysitter.  I know that sounds dumb, but my 5 year old is a special needs kid.  He has severe allergies that have landed him in the ER several times.

Just so I don't sound too nutty, here is his list (tested by blood and skin tests by allergists):

Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, all nuts, all seeds (like sesame and sunflower), shea butter, coconut, beef, pork, chicken, turkey (maybe he can have lamb but we haven't tried), molds, lots of grasses and lots of trees.  He is essentially a vegan as far as what he eats, but I have to force him to chew most things (except his favorite 2 or 3).

He has asthma, and if someone else is drinking milk in the room with him he has had attacks.  He has had attacks because their was moldy fruit on the kitchen counter.  He has had attacks from smelling air freshener and perfume.  He has an asthma inhaler that needs a special tube called a "spacer" to use it.  That usually only works a little, and then he gets medicine in a special machine called a nebulizer. He has an epi-pen for emergency allergic reactions, but we haven't had to use it-- we just go to the ER when his symptoms take a bad turn.

So I have homeschooled and he only ever stays with family, and all my family moved away earlier this year. 

I am afraid if I take him to court with me it sends a message to the judge that I'm not to be taken seriously, because it says right on every court paper "No Kids."

HAS ANYONE ELSE HERE GOTTEN A PROTECTIVE ORDER?  I don't really know what to expect.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommasbabies77
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:59 AM
Yes. Are you going by yourself? No kids in the courtroom, momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tori77
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:59 AM

confusedblank stareI must be missing something here. I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

owl0210
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:00 AM
You need a protective order? From whom? This post is confusing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasbabies77
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:02 AM
She needs a protective order but can't find a babysitter for her special needs son. Is asking what to expect from it.

Funny, I understood it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tori77
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Okay, I reread it and understand what you're saying now. Hun, I think if I were in that position I would call the courthouse and ask them if there could maybe be an exception made because of your circumstance. And if they refuse to do that, then maybe ask if there may be a clerk there that could possibly sit outside of the courtroom with the child until you are done. I think they may make an exception since it's for something as serious as a protective order and you have noone else to watch him. Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

shimmifairy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM

You can try giving a call to the court house and finding out which judge would be working with you...Then you could ask to talk to his personal secretary and explain to her the problems your having with child care and why....She may be able to work with you on finding a way you can attend a hearing by phone, if it's possible for a TRO hearing...Do you have a lawyer? Is there a way they could represent you without you having to be there? I agree, this isn't a situation you want to expose your son to, even i9f he didn't have those extreme allergies....

You said that your family has moved away, do you have any friends you could give a crash course on his allergies and what to do if anything happens? Is your family so far away that one of them couldn't come for a day or two for the hearing to help? A protective order means the situation is pretty serious, so I would think that would be a good reason to travel for a couple of days if they aren't across the country....

groovegal
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Many courts have daycare available...m

Quoting mommasbabies77:

Yes. Are you going by yourself? No kids in the courtroom, momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjbennett26
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:14 AM

SOME courthouses have daycare....just an FYI, call and ask

Aamy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM
If it says no kids, it means no kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandnewSha
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:28 PM
OK my freak-out is over (for now). It was only a preliminary hearing, sso the law office just canceled it and I get another shot at the final hearing next week. If I miss the final my case will be dismissed though. Wheeewwww. I put in paperwork to get some help from nursing care workers for medical respite. Hope it gets approved and I am still looking for a second facility for plan B. Fingers crossed! Thanks ladies ***
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)