Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Old Were Your Kiddos...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM
  • 22 Replies

When you started letting them brush their teeth by themselves?

(no help, no supervision, no breath sniffing, just them doing it on their own)

What about showering/bathing?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:11 AM

My son showers without any help and he is 6. My daughter showers but I have to help her wash her hair, she is 5.

Neither brush their teeth without supervision yet. I'm too paranoid about cavities.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

LuvingMy3Girls
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:15 AM
3 or 4 I think. They are 12 and 7 now and have never had a cavity (I still help the baby brush)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StOp.PaJaMaTiMe
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

My son showers without any help and he is 6. My daughter showers but I have to help her wash her hair, she is 5.

Neither brush their teeth without supervision yet. I'm too paranoid about cavities.

im starting to think i'm the queen of paranoid. seriously. i never thought of myself as a helicopter parent until here recently... Phoenix will be five in 9 days and he doesn't bathe alone, of course, neither does Ava, shes only 2.5. But they get their lack of grace from me and I'm scared to death they will fall and knock themselves out and drown or something. And teeth... well I let Noah brush his, but I go over them again right after. lol

StOp.PaJaMaTiMe
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:23 AM

BUMP!

hailey3
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:28 AM
My son I had to do the sniff till he was ten. ... he's now nearly 12 and sometimes I still need to. My DD is 8 and I haven't had to since she wwas 6. My second DD is 6 and I still have to go back over hers sometimes. Showers my son was showering on his own when I had my second DD he was 5. My girls shower by them selves now but they started when DD 1 was 5 and DD 2 is very much like a boy lol she could care less and I have to double check before she gets out if she's good or not. My youngest 2 are 22 and 4 months and I have no one here to help so I rely on my 3 oldest to be able to do certain things on their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StOp.PaJaMaTiMe
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Quoting hailey3:

My son I had to do the sniff till he was ten. ... he's now nearly 12 and sometimes I still need to. My DD is 8 and I haven't had to since she wwas 6. My second DD is 6 and I still have to go back over hers sometimes. Showers my son was showering on his own when I had my second DD he was 5. My girls shower by them selves now but they started when DD 1 was 5 and DD 2 is very much like a boy lol she could care less and I have to double check before she gets out if she's good or not. My youngest 2 are 22 and 4 months and I have no one here to help so I rely on my 3 oldest to be able to do certain things on their own.

sure sounds like you got your hands full! :)

hailey3
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM
Hahaha yeah kinda do but love it to pieces! Just my 2nd DD likes to take the easy way out of things lol. She doesn't have to try hard at anything to be good at it and my 1st DD is ocd and has to have everything perfect or she isn't happy lol. Polar opposite and sooooo close in age. My son he can kinda be a bit lazy on hygiene but most boys his age are lol. I brush the toddlers teeth and she does take showers sometimes. But mostly bath. The nice thing is I can ask an older kid to sit with her if baby wakes up while she's in bath playing. :-) I found a system and rhythm and we r flowing with it lol.

Quoting StOp.PaJaMaTiMe:

Quoting hailey3:

sure sounds like you got your hands full! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baby2zacharias
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM
I love ur SN. by the way.

My DD is five and she bathes herself and has since 4 ish. We brush our teeth together so I can see how she does with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Metalmommaof1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM

my dd is 5 and i still have to watch her brush her teeth only because she forgets to do the back teeth. but we just recently started letting her take a shower by her self. we dont have a tub so she doesn't take baths. just showers

southern_momof2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Zac started bathing without help around 6, yea, I hovered a little there. He is 7 now and I still check and make sure he brushed well.

Ava is 3 so I still help her with everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)