Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you put your child on SSI?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:50 AM
  • 25 Replies

Poll

Question: If you were sure they would never be fully functional? (for the most part normal but has some major learning disabilities)

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 37

View Results

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lydlou02
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:52 AM
My DD has severe Autism. We're looking into SSI so we can afford more therapies for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM

If they qualified..absolutely.  It would help with getting tutuoring or support services that were needed.

MaMa-Shelby
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Quoting Lydlou02:

My DD has severe Autism. We're looking into SSI so we can afford more therapies for her.

Does your area have early intervention?  

Lydlou02
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:56 AM
Yes, been there, done that. She is now six and in an autism specific classroom at school. There is more help she could be getting if we could afford it.

Quoting MaMa-Shelby:

Quoting Lydlou02:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yezay
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM

My son has a serious speech delay among other things.  I'm leaning towards SPD/OCD and I have thought about trying to get SSI for him but don't know how to go about it.

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:04 AM

They don't even have to never be fully functional to qualify for SSI. You just have to prove that their disability will last more than one year.

A lot of people have the misconception that if a child is on SSI, that the "disability" label will follow them into adulthood and it will affect them obtaining jobs.  This is a total myth. 

If a child qualifies for SSI, there is absolutely nothing wrong with obtaining those benefits to help with any special needs that child may have. Qualifying for SSI will automatically qualify that child for a medical card to assist with medical costs.  This can be used as a secondary insurance if the child already has a primary.

gypsy_rose
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Get all IEPS and any other documentaion stating issues to prove it has been going on for a while. Go to SSI office in your area. SS card, and other documentation proving who you and he are and that you live in the area. Apply. Some of them you need to call and set an apointment.

Quoting yezay:

My son has a serious speech delay among other things.  I'm leaning towards SPD/OCD and I have thought about trying to get SSI for him but don't know how to go about it.

MaMa-Shelby
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:05 AM

My son is just now leaving early intervention next month and I have been looking for more help as well. Sorry didnt realize she was six :)

Quoting Lydlou02:

Yes, been there, done that. She is now six and in an autism specific classroom at school. There is more help she could be getting if we could afford it.

Quoting MaMa-Shelby:

Quoting Lydlou02:

FooLynRoo
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM
Absolutely
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM

In fact, I am considering it. Whats wrong with it???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)