• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*update in red* for those of you whose children are baptized....

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM
  • 29 Replies

Poll

Question: which of these is most important to you when it comes to godparents?

Options:

that they will teach my child and lead them spiritually

they are people who i trust to show/teach my child right from wrong

they are just good friends/family and it was personal reasoning

other PLEASE share

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

what was/were the decideing factor(s) of who you chose as godparents?

so the reason i'm asking is this.

my husband is catholic. i am lutheran. there is NOONE on his side of the family that can be a godparent. he has 3 sisters, but none of them are "practicing catholics." the oldest is my age, she is absolutly terrible with kids and we both agreed we didn't want her. the middle sister is 20, she is due in november and doesn't go to church, hasnt in a few years...but is baptizing her kid when shes born. the youngest is 16, and she only goes to church because their mom makes her. she says she doesn't believe in god and what not...just goes because she has to.

he is not close with any of his other family members really...so theres nobody to ask to be godparents.

i have known since my first son was born (hubby and i weren't together when i had aiden) that i wanted my older brother and his, then girlfriend, now wife, to be his godparents. i want my children to have the same values i do, and my brother is an amazing father and a great person and i would love for my kids to look up to him. but hes lutheran too...and according to catholic rules, he can't be a godfather unless there is a catholic that can be a godparent and he can be an honorary godfather, but that leaves out my SIL.

so...i'm trying to convince hubby that we should baptize them lutheran.

he says my reasoning behind wanting my brother and SIL to be godparents is all wrong. that godparents are strictly to guide the child spiritually. which yea, thats part of it...but i also want someone who my kids can look up to and say "hey...he's a great person, i could learn a lot from him" ya know?

they're my kids too...so i think i should have some say in this...but i think i might be fighting a losing battle...idk...

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lisadd81
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I wanted either a married couple or mature adults. I didn't pick people just because they were friends.

MandaRose83
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Agreed. We definitely wanted a married couple. Only our oldest is baptized at the moment (we've been pretty lazy about our other 2 lol) and his godparents are my husband's best friend since his childhood and his wife.

Quoting Lisadd81:

I wanted either a married couple or mature adults. I didn't pick people just because they were friends.

preemiemommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:32 AM

was it someone you wanted to guide your child spiritually...or someone you personally just felt would teach your child right from wrong...or just family because it was a personal decision 

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Only my oldest is baptized havnt gotten around to the getting the girls done. for us we wanted ppl that I knew would make sure my son was taken care of.  I chosse god mother and dh chose god father.  our options were limited but we chose my sister and his twin brother.

KandiceN
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM

We picked family, that we knew would help in raising them.

We're not really any set religion, we got our kids baptised in a lutheran church though.  My daughters Godfather is Catholic but he's an awesome guy and dedicated to our kids so we knew he'd be a good fit.

MandaRose83
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM

For us it was just someone who we knew would be a good influence on his life. Also if we were to ever pass they would take him with no questions asked and I feel he would have a good life and be brought up with similar values to my own. 

preemiemommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM

i hope this keeps going for a little bit and gets some replies. i will post later today about my reasons for asking.... :)  i have to go out of town for a little bit...so please keep it going!!!

FooLynRoo
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM
My son chose his own godparents. But here is a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preemiemommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM

BUMP!

preemiemommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)