• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a new respect for migrant workers and fruit & veggies at the store!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM
  • 2 Replies
My dh was laid off recently.We heard that some of the locals in our area had been picking"palmetto berries" for a bit of extra cash.

We decided to give it a try...

Saw palm berries are found cascading off palm trees basically in the swamp.They are the size of an olive and are attached firmly to a rough textured stalk.so you have to walk through the swamps that were recently burned and look for these little berries.After you find them you must cut the stalk and haul the berries to an open area and then proceed to beat them or pull them off of the stalk.well there's about (if your lucky) 50 olive sized berries on each stalk.

This is all very hard due to the 98 degree heat,being in the swamp,getting covered in soot,bit by every bug,while avoiding diamond back rattlesnakes, gators, and spiders(Not to mention 3 mo ths post op total hysterectomy with cervical removal)

GUESS WHAT... We get paid for the berries( we knew this but) 15 cents a pound.!!!
We filled my hubby's truck 4 times with these berries.
Had 2 garbage cans full, 2 grey storage totes, and one recycle bin.
IT ENDED UP BEING 641 lbs @ 15 cents = 108 or 109 bucks. We needed the money so it's not too bad but I WILL NEVER BUY FRUIT or VEGGIES Again without thinking of the poor people who bust there butts for really no money at all to bring us thefood we eat.migrate workers works for pennies everyday in the fields.

I dont mind hard work and it did come in handy and trust me we will be foraging through the swamp for more berries soon.
WOW what an eye opener!!!!!!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
HouseMa
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Actually, the fruits and veggies you eat at stores come from large market farms and operations that use massive machines to harvest the fruits.

If you want to thank a migrant worker, buy local.  Farmer's market's, roadside stands, and little farm's are what use migrant workers.

2beautygirl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM
Quoting HouseMa:

Actually, the fruits and veggies you eat at stores come from large market farms and operations that use massive machines to harvest the fruits.

If you want to thank a migrant worker, buy local.  Farmer's market's, roadside stands, and little farm's are what use migrant workers.

There are still migrant workers around here.They pick the oranges,lemons,grapefruits,and strawberries.flordia does still have migrant workers although you are right it's a dying way of life.Don't care still will never look at things the same again.I will always think of the people who made my food possible and thank them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)