Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lice!!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM
  • 19 Replies

The twins I babysit are home today due to lice. They didnt come yesterday bc I had some drs appts. I think were ok here for now.....but I was wondering how long they should stay away? Ive heard most daycares allow kids back after one treatment. Im just paranoid of it coming to my house. So what would you say?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:53 AM

BUMP!

Luv_my_hubby
by Nikki on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Chances are it's already been at your house and you didn't realize it. I would check everyone in my home and spray the furniture and sprinkle stuff on the carpets. Then vacuum and throw out the bag.  I would do this even if no one has shown up with it yet.  If they have been in your car and you have cloth seats spray them too.  You can also protect your family from getting it by adding tea tree oil to your shampoo. Lice for some reason do not like it.  good luck ... my DD had lice many times in Elementary school until we started the tea tree then never had it again. Even when her class at school had in running thru rampantly. 

Annyankaa
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM

One lice treatment DOES NOT WORK!!!!! unless it's mayo. or petroleum jelly. and then I feel bad for whoever has to wash out their hair. We put petroleum jelly in my sisters' hair and it was awful. It killed them but took about a week to get it all out. the shampoo just didn't work at all. I had to finally dye my hair to kill it when they gave that crap to me... :/

Annyankaa
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM

OH WOW!!!! Thank you so much for the tea tree oil idea!!! I will definitely pass this on to my mom and put it in my DD's shampoo!

Quoting Luv_my_hubby:

Chances are it's already been at your house and you didn't realize it. I would check everyone in my home and spray the furniture and sprinkle stuff on the carpets. Then vacuum and throw out the bag.  I would do this even if no one has shown up with it yet.  If they have been in your car and you have cloth seats spray them too.  You can also protect your family from getting it by adding tea tree oil to your shampoo. Lice for some reason do not like it.  good luck ... my DD had lice many times in Elementary school until we started the tea tree then never had it again. Even when her class at school had in running thru rampantly. 

mommymelissa76
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM

They allow them back at school after one treatment if the child id "nit free". When they come back, check for nits, if they still have them send them away until they are gone. After one treatment, they will need another in a week

liveforever
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM

How much do you add? And do you use it on a regular basis/will it make hair look really oily?

Quoting Annyankaa:

OH WOW!!!! Thank you so much for the tea tree oil idea!!! I will definitely pass this on to my mom and put it in my DD's shampoo!

Quoting Luv_my_hubby:

Metalmommaof1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM

i would definately spray everything down and wash everything that they touched, if it cant be washed i would pack it in a bag for 2 weeks. and if you cant afford the tea tree stuff cause it can be expensive, i have used the licefree spray. it works wonders, i used it only twice on my dd and never had to use it again.

Luv_my_hubby
by Nikki on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Your welcome.... I understand the pain of lice. My DD had hair down to her bootie. Finally the last time she had it we treated it and her nana (who's a hairdresser) cut it short.

I absolutely detest lice... bad 

OP- make sure you bag up the stuffed animals too. 

Quoting Annyankaa:

Quoting Luv_my_hubby:

Metalmommaof1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM

the licefree spray worked wonders for my dd and its a lice treatment, only its non toxic. its almost impossible to do a treatment on yourself cause you cant get the comb through your hair with just yourself. but the spray really does work

Quoting Annyankaa:

One lice treatment DOES NOT WORK!!!!! unless it's mayo. or petroleum jelly. and then I feel bad for whoever has to wash out their hair. We put petroleum jelly in my sisters' hair and it was awful. It killed them but took about a week to get it all out. the shampoo just didn't work at all. I had to finally dye my hair to kill it when they gave that crap to me... :/

liveforever
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Ive heard the sprays do more harm then good....

Quoting Metalmommaof1:

i would definately spray everything down and wash everything that they touched, if it cant be washed i would pack it in a bag for 2 weeks. and if you cant afford the tea tree stuff cause it can be expensive, i have used the licefree spray. it works wonders, i used it only twice on my dd and never had to use it again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)