Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get the blood curdling screams to stop??

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM
  • 12 Replies
I have a 7 year old son that is the biggest drama queen EVER. If he stubs his toe, he screams like the world is ending. This morning, our 3 year old son tossed a small dinosaur to him and it knocked him on the lip. The scream he let out was eardrum piercing. He cries about everything. It's driving me nuts.

Our 3 year old son has more of a "Hulk" type growl when he gets upset and he stops his feet. When he gets hurt (unless it's really bad), he brushes it off like nothing.

My question is: how do I get these screams to stop? We are due to have a new baby in October, and I can already see the screams waking him up.

Before anyone asks, the have both been evaluated by 3 different doctors for ADD/ADHD among other things. All three have said that they are both normal and healthy boys, just quirky. Time outs don't work, nor does taking stuff away.

Help!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissLinn
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM
If it were me, I'd start punishing him for screaming. But I'm mean (or so I've been told).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Delirium003
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM
I'm close to it!

Quoting MissLinn:

If it were me, I'd start punishing him for screaming. But I'm mean (or so I've been told).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RBoggs410
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I'm going through that with my 5 yr old right now:( He was always the 'tough' one, and never really had any  major tantrums. But for the last 2 weeks, he screams and cries so much if he doesn't get his way (3 times in public) and he has even started kicking and hitting me! I'm really not sure what's going on...

I hope we both get answers! It's very frustrating when you know they are old enough to know better and can't figure out how to help them :(

PixieButtercup
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM

this is what I would do, too. good luck!

Quoting MissLinn:

Delirium003
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM
If I find the answer, I'll let you know. :)

Quoting RBoggs410:

I'm going through that with my 5 yr old right now:( He was always the 'tough' one, and never really had any  major tantrums. But for the last 2 weeks, he screams and cries so much if he doesn't get his way (3 times in public) and he has even started kicking and hitting me! I'm really not sure what's going on...

I hope we both get answers! It's very frustrating when you know they are old enough to know better and can't figure out how to help them :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snoopy21276
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM

i would empty his bedroom down to just basics and tell him that behavior is not fair to the whole family.. send him to his room for a time out till he calms down. The key with this technique is to not get into an argument with him and banter/debate why it is not ok. With my dd.. she will throw fits over crap ever so often.. it is straight to her room to work it out. I usualy grab ny kniting or a book and sit in the hall or nearby so i know when she calms down and can keep tabs that she didn't sneek out to watch tv in our room

Delirium003
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM
That's a good idea! They share a room that is packed to the brim with toys and books. It would be interesting to see what they will do.

Quoting snoopy21276:

i would empty his bedroom down to just basics and tell him that behavior is not fair to the whole family.. send him to his room for a time out till he calms down. The key with this technique is to not get into an argument with him and banter/debate why it is not ok. With my dd.. she will throw fits over crap ever so often.. it is straight to her room to work it out. I usualy grab ny kniting or a book and sit in the hall or nearby so i know when she calms down and can keep tabs that she didn't sneek out to watch tv in our room

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
evilangel198431
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM

my step son used to do this and i started busting his butt for it. of course his dad and i are not together anymore now and he is doing it again but for a long time i had him broken of it

Quoting PixieButtercup:

this is what I would do, too. good luck!

Quoting MissLinn:

starbuckmom03
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Punish him.  He's quite old enough to understand that screaming like that isn't ok.

I caught my  ds, granted he's 2 1/2, yesterday mid scream.  I plopped my hand over his mouth to stop the scream.  He looked at me with big eyes and I sternly and quietly told him "Inside voice please".  Didn't scream again!  If he does decide to scream inside I will do the same thing till he finally gets it.  Granted at 2 1/2, he's more apt to forget and when he gets excited he gets loud, but your ds is 7, he's old enough to stop himself.

Delirium003
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM
I have talked to his teacher about his behavior. She said he's a quiet, laid back kid. Very well behaved at school. If he's out with my sister, or someone else's house, he's well behaved too. He's only like this when I am around. He should know better, I agree.

Quoting starbuckmom03:

Punish him.  He's quite old enough to understand that screaming like that isn't ok.

I caught my  ds, granted he's 2 1/2, yesterday mid scream.  I plopped my hand over his mouth to stop the scream.  He looked at me with big eyes and I sternly and quietly told him "Inside voice please".  Didn't scream again!  If he does decide to scream inside I will do the same thing till he finally gets it.  Granted at 2 1/2, he's more apt to forget and when he gets excited he gets loud, but your ds is 7, he's old enough to stop himself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)