Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Head lice questions

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM
  • 22 Replies

How do you know you have head lice? Do you feel them crawling in your hair, does it itch, do they bite? I gather that they're really easy to transfer from person to person.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM

They do itch and you don't really feel them crawling.  If they get to that point ur pretty infested.   Easiest way to spot them is by the eggs.  kinda look likd dandruff but they dont' move when you blow on them or try to move it.  You can also inspect the scalp and look for very small crawling bugs. 

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I don't think i've ever had lice even through childhood.  But I would assume your head would itch and people would notice them crawling in your hair.  When I was a cashier the cashier in front of me had lice in her hair.  She had dark hair and I could see crawling!  Oh yeah.  I alerted the manager he sent her home.  They told her to grab her stuff and leave right then.  Do not walk anywhere else.  They took bleach over to her area and started sanitizing.  I moved further down because I was paranoid.  It literally made me itch!

benjamink
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I've never even seen one, I probably would have thought she had dandruff or something.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

I don't think i've ever had lice even through childhood.  But I would assume your head would itch and people would notice them crawling in your hair.  When I was a cashier the cashier in front of me had lice in her hair.  She had dark hair and I could see crawling!  Oh yeah.  I alerted the manager he sent her home.  They told her to grab her stuff and leave right then.  Do not walk anywhere else.  They took bleach over to her area and started sanitizing.  I moved further down because I was paranoid.  It literally made me itch!

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

If you can see them crawling from a distance there is bad infestation.  By then you can't stop itching it would be constant almost.    The first sign is more than usual scratching and the eggs.   On dark hair you can spot the eggs pretty quickly but they do look like dandruff.

Metalmommaof1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM

the first sign is scratching of the scalp, as soon as my dd starts itching her head i check to make sure she doesnt have the live ones in her hair, but i check three times a week for the eggs regardless, we have had issues with this problem in the past and i dont want her to get it again.

Metalmommaof1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM

that is true, and if you see the eggs you need to do a treatment right away, with the special combs otherwise you wont get them all out. at least that is how it is with my dd when she used to get it. but yeah if you can see it from a distance its bad bad bad.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

If you can see them crawling from a distance there is bad infestation.  By then you can't stop itching it would be constant almost.    The first sign is more than usual scratching and the eggs.   On dark hair you can spot the eggs pretty quickly but they do look like dandruff.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Quoting Metalmommaof1:

the first sign is scratching of the scalp, as soon as my dd starts itching her head i check to make sure she doesnt have the live ones in her hair, but i check three times a week for the eggs regardless, we have had issues with this problem in the past and i dont want her to get it again.

Yeah i've been there,  I check daily and even if i don't see any i still use lice shampoo every 2 weeks like clock work.   I also use many preventive measures

Metalmommaof1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM

at least that is the first sign with my dd, other people it may be different

Quoting Metalmommaof1:

Metalmommaof1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM

yep me too, only if i could get the source of the problem fixed then we would all be happy but i can't get it through their heads that not fixing that problem is only hurting them even more.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Metalmommaof1:

Yeah i've been there,  I check daily and even if i don't see any i still use lice shampoo every 2 weeks like clock work.   I also use many preventive measures

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Ewwwwww i'm itching now.  LMAO.  See what you're doing to me??  Yeah we noticed she had cut her hair really short......  I hope she didn't think cutting it would make it go away.  Ick.  But it creeped me the hell out seeing those things crawling in her hair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)