Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What will happen to your body after you die?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM
  • 44 Replies

My husband and I disagree (respectfully) about what we want done with our bodies after death and I was just curious what others are doing.

The idea of burning a body gives me the creepy and actually gives me goosebumps as I type this.  But my husband's wish is to be cremated and I will respect his decision.

I however am planning to donate my body to science for student learning.  When they are done I want my bones held together by springs and strings and used in a science lab for teaching and memorization.  I had childhood cancer (bone cancer in my lower leg) and I am hoping at least donating my body will help others learn and possibly help in the cancer cure search.  My husband will respect my decision although it freaks him out that people will be playing with my organs and bones.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Be0804
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM
I'm getting cremated... As weird as this sounds, I have a fear of bring buried alive. I know it's not realistic, but it's something I've always had. DH isn't sure...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

While I think it is admirable of you to donate your body to learning, I can understand how this would bother your family members.   I am an organ donor and will gladly donate my organs to anyone who needs them to survive but the thought of my body being poked and prodded and cut up and dismembered then put on display for use by several individuals even for educational purposes makes me sick.   I wish I could just accept that once I am dead the body is nothing but an empty shell but it's a shell I have lived in and that has contained the essence of me and maybe I am selfish for wanting it to just disappear naturally instead of being used and abused.     I personally am leaning more towards burial because I find it comforting - the whole "sleeping" imagery associated with it I think is just easier for me to digest. 

lovingwifey
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I will be cremated and my ashes can be dumped anywhere.  I am not picky.  

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

i want my organs and tissues donated and used as much as possible. If anything is left I would like the rest creamated and spread in the Olympic Mountains.

Metalmommaof1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

i will be cremated as will my hubby, he told me that he wants his ashes in his gas tank of his harley when he dies, so i will be putting a gas tank of a harley on a shelf with his ashes

Fordprefect
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Quoting Mom2Be0804:

I'm getting cremated... As weird as this sounds, I have a fear of bring buried alive. I know it's not realistic, but it's something I've always had. DH isn't sure...

Me, too. My DH is also being cremated and he wants his ashes dumped in the ocean.

lovingwifey
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM

lol. Sorry I had to laugh at that.  I got a mental picture of an urn next to a gas tank on a shelf.

Quoting Metalmommaof1:

i will be cremated as will my hubby, he told me that he wants his ashes in his gas tank of his harley when he dies, so i will be putting a gas tank of a harley on a shelf with his ashes

sweetmissy_05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I'm getting cremated.

clusterkid
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

One of 2 things will be done for me. I will either be cremated and buried with my son. Or I will be buried in a plot and have my son moved over to it.

CeeGee81
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I'll be cremated

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)