Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sister's son died last night. *8/19 update - autopsy results*

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM
  • 944 Replies

He was 7 months old.  My sister put him to bed at 6:30, and her daughter to bed at 7.  Sometime between 8-8:30 her daughter woke up and she went in to get her back to sleep, and she peeked in her sons PNP and noticed his color was off, so she picked him up and realized he was limp and not breathing.  My dad did CPR until the ambulance came, and they worked on him in the ER for about a half an hour, but he never had regained any cardiac activity.  I had to sit with my dad while he did CPR before the ambulance came because I was the one on the phone with 911.  I will never, ever get the images and sounds out of my head.  He was fine before he went to bed...just hanging out in his bouncy seat in the kitchen with us, drinking a bottle and he fell asleep.  He had his (late) 6 month check up earlier in the day and received his 6 month shots.  He was totally healthy, totally fine.  We're waiting to hear from the coroner today, they are supposed to call after the autopsy is done.  The hospital called my sister last night after we all left to see if she wanted them to try and save any organs for donation, and she said yes.  They called this morning and said they were going to try and save his eyes and heart.  She is just hoping that something good can come of this...that his death can help someone else.  I'm still just in shock. 

They were able to recover his corneas, and all of his heart valves, but nothing else.  It's something though.  Someone may be able to see because of him, which is wonderful.  Other than that we havent heard anything.  Im at my parents house with my dad (who is sleeping) and my brother.  My brother is autistic and has very little idea of what is going on, but I dont want to leave my dad alone.  My mom and 2 of my sisters are with my other sister at her mother and father in laws house right now.  I appreciate all the prayers, trust me, right now my family and her in-laws family could really use them.  I'm going to include a picture...it was taken last week.  I would sit and stare at it all day long if I thought it could take the pictures out of my head of how I saw him last night. 

The autopsy was performed yesterday at 3pm and they called my sister with the results this morning.  His heart was enlarged and he was in congestive heart failure, and he had a heart attack in his sleep.  At 7 months old, he died of a heart attack.  I'm baffled, and while my family is glad to have definitive answers, it's so confusing how he was seen at the pediatrician's office not 8 hours before his death and he was, according to his doctor, perfectly healthy, which was as far from the truth as could be.  Again, I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers for my family and anyone who would like to continue with them we could use them.  His funeral and burial are Monday, and it's going to be a realyl hard day to get through for all of us. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I'm sorry for your family's loss. 

winkles115
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM
I'm so sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxlilmomma09
Im sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM
OMG wow! I'm so sorry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
minimom11107

Wow. I'm so so so sorry for you and your whole family. That is heartbreaking. I couldn't imagine what you all are going through right now.

chalisa0
by Kim on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Oh no.  I'm so sorry. 

luvsmygrls

Wow.. terribly sorry to hear that .. I do hope that she gets some peace. Much love to your family!!

mes_deux_amours
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( :( :(

MamaLub
My condolences :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SingleMomzRock
Omg... I'm so sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)