• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does this letter to the landlord sound ok?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM
  • 5 Replies

we are moving out of a house that is just in awful condtion. we have a mont to month lease. we just found out we could have te house we wanted. I wrote the landlord a letter of our intent to move, but was wondering if i should go more into specfic details? I didnt give 30 days notice, but this house has sooo many issues its just unreal, we have been patient, called code enforcment on tem, sent certified letters, and it comes down to he is a slum lord, so  this is letter i wrote, so in case they take me to court should i be more specific? i was vauge with detials

Dj,

I am writing to let you Know as of  9/1/11 we will no longer be living at the 1010 N Jefferson street home. This was a hard decision but many factors played into it. The biggest issue is the chronic basement flooding. The mold is making both of my children ill. We have been let down by the property manager on several occasions, repairs have been left half done, not started or done poorly.

We feel the home has become a danger, we feel we have given Ray ample time to fix issues that been arose from as far back as January.  I cannot work with the property manager and pay what we pay for this house to be in the constant state it is. The condition of the house drives the utilities to an unbelievable amount and prevents us from being able to afford to live here and properly provide for our family. 

I feel it is in both the owner and our interest to vacate the house immediately. I hate it had to come to this but I have begged and pleaded and provided pictures to show how bad a condition this house is in and we feel the property manager has ignored us and because of this we refuse to deal with him any longer. 

While we know you have been patient with us when we got into our car accident and fell onto hard times with rent being late, we feel we have been more than tolerant and patient with wanting this house to be in a 650.00/ month condition and sadly it isn't.

Jennifer Montes

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
avi_nevaeh_mama
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

It sounds fine, but if you signed a month to month that says you MUST provide them with a 30 day notice (which most month to month leases do) then don't be surprised when your landlord requires you to pay the rent for the month you were suppose to give your notice. It doesn't matter if repairs needed to be done or the condition of the house. You are still required to give them 30 days notice and you will have to pay for that 30 days.

alotta_fagina
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM

its a month to month lease. you dont have to give any deatils at all. Simply a letter saying you are vacating and leave it at that. You should contact the powers that be that oversee renting houses. Legally, he or she cannont rent out a house with a mold problem without getting it fixed first. So it wont happen to another family.

MissLinn
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM
All you need to do is write them a letter stating you will not be renewing the lease. No details needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alt075
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Even with the lease she can get out if their is mold. You can't live in a house with mold. She would probabally need to take him to court though.

RedRozeMom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM
Actually...if the landlord hasn't been fixing things in a timely fashion, you are under no obligation to even give notice, but I would let code enforcement know what is wrong with the house so hopefully another family doesn't have the same issues. And take pictures before you leave, just in case the landlord takes you to court.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)