Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for those who don't vax

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM
  • 32 Replies

yes this is stemming from the very heartbreaking post of the 6 month old passing away. :(

stories like that scare me but i am a vaxxing momma. 

for those who don't vax...aren't you ever worried about what would happen if your child got pertussis or tetanus or anything? how do you prevent it? 

for those who do vax...is getting your child vaxxed worth the risk?

and for everyone...instead of getting so many shots at once...can you ask the pediatrician to spread them out? how would you get them spread out?

i really don't want to cause drama with this...i'm just a curious momma. my 2.5 year old was vaxxed with no problems and my 2 month old just had her first set of shots last week. but as i said, such sad stories make me wonder...the death rate is rare...but it does happen...

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellawomen
by Summer on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM
You have the right not only to get one shot at a time but ask for combo shots to be broken up. Sign only for the vaccines you want at that time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaSiete
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I don't vax. I am not worried in the least bit. And yes, you can space the vaccines out and even skip some if you'd like. Nothing wrong with that at all.

MommaGreenhalge
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Tetanus doesn't worry me because a) it is very rare.  The conditions for tetanus to live make it unlikely for my child to get it.  We prevent it by cleaning wounds thoroughly.  And b) If there was ever a worry, I would get the TIG for them.

Pertussis is more common when kids are in daycare or school situations, and is rarely serious for children over one year of age.  We prevent it by not having our kids in daycare and breastfeeding past the first year.  And we don't let sick people breathe on our infants.

Erna2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I have 5 kids, ages 23 yrs- 5 yrs old. They are fully vaccinated and there were no problems. I did however have a son who passed of SIDS back in 1990 at 2 1/2 months old. He was the only one that wasn't vaxed. I would vax all over again if I had another....

clusterkid

My son was vaxxed and did die of what is being labelled as SIDS last year. I do not believe the shots had anything to do with his death.

There are many women in my support group that never vaxxed their children and they still passed from what is being labelled as SIDS.(SUID, SUDS, undetermined etc)

Are there deaths that do stem from vaxxinations, probably I just do not think my sons was one of them.

Willis_Mommie
I don't vax and I am nothin worried.....its my right to not vax......I would rather have my kids here with me then have something worse happen.....as for pertussis....I had that shot when I was a kid and nothin almost killed me....so why would I want to give it to my kids????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I didn't even have to ask my DD's Pedi to spread vaxs out she doesn't give more than 2 shots at a time.  I have vaxed all four of my kids and will continue to vax my youngest.

Stories like that are so extremely sad.  may be coincidence may not we will probably never really know.  BUT I do know this the number one killer of small children is auto accidents so I focus on what I can really make a difference in.

xxlilmomma09
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:25 PM
I delay vaccinate, but I wanted to say that vaccinations aren't 100 percent. Especially the pertussis and flu vaccines. There are constantly new strains forming that are acting becoming immune to vaccinations and antibiotics. It is pretty scary stuff.

I do believe in vaccinating my children, but I do not agree with the current schedule. I believe that is too many chemicals for such young children at once. My children will never receive a flu vaccine or the chicken pox vaccine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kool_Aide
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I vax all 4 of my kids on the scheduled dates recommended. I"m not worried at all and they are all very healthy. We just got a shot for my 3 year old today actually. He didn't even cry.

DeathGoddess
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM

i have always vaxed on schedule, however, my daughter was premature and the day after her 2 month vaccinations she was admitted for listlessness and they never did figure out why. That being said, if we have another child AND it is premature...i will delay vaccines and spread them out, no more than 2 at a time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)