Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can an adult develop asthma?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM
  • 25 Replies

First before anyone says, we moved and our insurance is not accepted where we are (so we are getting new insurance) and the college health center won't be open for a few weeks-- I"m working on seeing a doctor...

So, we moved to NYC about 4 weeks ago.  My sinus have been going through hell since we moved due to the humidity.  I"ve been taking a 12 hour sudafed and it seems to be working wonders.  I also have a cough that only subsides with the sudafed.  I also have an amazing amount of flem when I cough (and it only goes away with the medication).  Its not cloudy or bright green like it would be with a sinus infection.

But in the last few nights when I'm laying in bed, it is hard to breath.  Not like panic attack hard to breath, but like if I try to take a deep breath in, it sort of burns and its like I can't catch my breath.

So, I'm waiting to see if its all connected and it probably is.  I should be in to see a doctor in the next few weeks.  But, I've had a million sinus infections before and have never had any sort of respiratory issues with them like this.  Can the new climate cause asthma?  Because I'm already taking so much sudafed I don't want to take it at night because I really only should be taking it for a week straight and already I'm over the 7 days.  Is there any other tricks to help the coughing and breathing issue at night? 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annie610
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Yes, my sister was diagnosed when she was 45 years old.

.betty.white.
by bilf on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Also, I've had sinus issues since I was a little girl so I know my body and the symptoms pretty well.  It doesn't feel like a sinus infection...  IDK, I've never had bronchitis or anything like that before though.

Moms2NTwins
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM
DH was just diagnosed in June and he's 33
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissLeanna
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Bronchitis can make your chest burn and it kinda sounds like you have it. Or asthma. Feel better!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Starr1089
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM
Yes my dad got it in his 40's
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by bilf on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Thanks everyone.  The health clinic at school should be open in about two weeks and we should know more about our insurance later today :$  I want to see a doc so bad.  I hate feeling this way!

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I was diagnosed in my early 30s, but I was also tested for it as a kid (neg.).  Humidity is a HUGE trigger for me.

Google garlic and ginger tea.  I drink that when my asthma is acting up or I am sick.  It could also be an infection and garlic would help for that as well. 

.betty.white.
by bilf on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I will hunt for ginger tea.  Anything to make me feel better.  When you where diagnosed did you ever try sudafed?  Did it help the symptoms? 

Quoting mommytoeandb:

I was diagnosed in my early 30s, but I was also tested for it as a kid (neg.).  Humidity is a HUGE trigger for me.

Google garlic and ginger tea.  I drink that when my asthma is acting up or I am sick.  It could also be an infection and garlic would help for that as well. 

.betty.white.
by bilf on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM

It also pisses me off that we pay OUT OF POCKET over $600 a month for our health insurance and we are now out of network.  Hoping we can find a new one here!

momto3infl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I was dx in my early late 20's early 30's after moving from the North (IN)  to FL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)