Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you had a car repo'ed, if you got it back was it trashed?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM
  • 54 Replies

I'm wondering if this is standard practice. When I was younger, I had two cars repossesed. I got them both back, and both of them came back in terrible condition. When they take your car "they are not liable for any damage that may occur" The lot will blame the tow company and vice versa. In Illinois, you get a certain amount of time to make arrangements to get the car back before they auction it off. Many people talk about how you can get great cars at these auctions for a couple of hundred to a thousand bucks. Mind you the original owner still owes the difference to the bank. 

I'm not saying people shouldn't pay their car payments, but I really don't think people deserve to have the car trashed. 

My first car the was repo'ed was a 1995 Isuzu Amigo, when I got it back the muffler had been stolen and the exhaust had been raped for parts. I actually got carbon monoxide poisoning driving it home. The back of it was filled with garbage, including fast food bags, children's toys and a pregnancy test. The car looked like a dumpster.

My second car was less than a year old and the starter was ripped out, and the gas tank drained. I got it started using a coat hanger and I couldn't turn it off at the gas station to put enough gas in it to get it home.

So if you had a car repo'ed and got it back, was it in the same condition it was in when they took it?

Photobucket
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM

wow! no i have never had a car repossesed but i have parked my car in one of those lots in manhattan and each time stuff was missing out. once a whole box of those one bite snickers bars, and once everything (including my insurance papers and the registration and car manual) were missing.

NickiNavarro
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Quoting poshkat:

wow! no i have never had a car repossesed but i have parked my car in one of those lots in manhattan and each time stuff was missing out. once a whole box of those one bite snickers bars, and once everything (including my insurance papers and the registration and car manual) were missing.

WOW!

Photobucket
azpreemiemom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM

My car has never been repoed, but I did have a cup full of change and money stolen out of my car when it was being repaired. 

yezay
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Not only that but if the car is trashed it wont go for as much at auction.  If the owner can't afford to make the payments then they probably can't afford the difference.  It's making more headache for everyone.

mrs.ramirez
Not repossessed but towed. And I got the car back exactly as it had been. I've never heard of car parts being stolen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NickiNavarro

BUMP!

Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM

had a car repo'd twice. never went back for it tho except to get my stuff out. so i have no idea of the condition of the car once they got it. they wouldn't let me near it. they boxed all my stuff for me and had it waiting at the front desk.

MissLeanna
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Never been repoed.

But everytime i use the car lots in LA to park my car for concerts I come back to the inside of my car reeking of weed.

and one time the guy CRASHED my car into a wall!!!
luckily no damage but boy was i FURIOUS

NickiNavarro

Quoting yezay:

Not only that but if the car is trashed it wont go for as much at auction.  If the owner can't afford to make the payments then they probably can't afford the difference.  It's making more headache for everyone.

Exactly, not to mention there is probably a small percentage of people who actually get their cars back. It sucks that NO ONE is responsible for the car at that point. It is still your car until the time is up, My car was brand new, and I had to put $600.00 worth of repairs in to it that weren't covered by my warranty or insurance. It seems no one was responsible for my car once they towed it away. Seems like a huge loop hole. People are being taken advantage of, if you ask me, but no one will stick up for someone who doesn't pay their bills. If this happens all the time then people are getting their cars repo'ed and then trashed before they are sold...........how nice.

Photobucket
troll.mom

i have to laugh, because when i used to drive to work (i refused to take public transportation to work) i used to park in this one garage all the time... i used to come back with things missing, so every morning before i got out of my car i would take pictures of the inside, outside, etc, with the man in front of my car.

they all thought i was nuts at first, but the did catch the guy who was stealing things from peoples cars, i used to park on 39th and 5th ave

Quoting poshkat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)