• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

just thinking......

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM
  • 0 Replies

An email I got today discussing how americans need to buy american and step away from purchasing asian and european products, the example they used made me laugh - Mandarin oranges (canned version produced in china vs a packaged version from California).    Mandarin - a member of the tangerine family originating and most abundantly found in Japan, China, the Phillipeans and Middle East.   As the mandarin has grown in popularity the western world has attempted growing it by mixing it with other members of the tangerine family so really you get a tangering hybrid instead of an actual mandarin. I get keeping american jobs and boosting the american economy but I think that if you want an international product it should be completely understandable to purchase it from it's country of origin.  These products have been subjected to an import tax as long as they say "imported by" or "exported from" on the label so in essence we are still boosting the economy by purchasing these products.   If american made companies followed the lead of European and Asian counterparts they'd be better off ---Frito Lay for example (actually owned by Pepsi), instead of having plants in Europe  who produce European exclusive flavors (proscuito and cheese for example) why not make those here and export them?   Coca-Cola again manufacturers outside the US why not export it?  If I want a Sumol (a portuguese manufactured soft drink) in the states I have to go to a place that sells Portuguese imports, I read the label and it says "product of portugal", imported by a company in New Jersey.  Butl the local grocery stores in Portugal sell an american cola imported from their main warehouse in Spain and the label reads "manufactured and bottled in France".   Just food for thought.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)