Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training Developmentally Delayed.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

DD is 2 (3 in October) and is developmentally delayed. I haven't been able to get her to pee on the potty yet. She now knows that she doesn't like being soiled and will bring me a new diaper when she knows she needs to be changed. She can go several hours without wetting, but doesn't wake up with a dry diaper. Sometimes she will wake up from a nap with a dry diaper.

What signs did you look for when potty training? Especially those who have developmentally delayed kids.

BabyFruit Ticker
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MrS.GiFFord
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:49 PM

My oldest son is Autistic. He was potty trained at 4 1/2. He did it all on his own and I just encouraged him. He peed on the potty first and for a long time before he pooped. He is almost 6 now and has never had any accidents. Good luck. 

poshkat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM

my son is also developmentally delayed. Ds was not ready until a month before he was 4. if shes not ready and shes not showing signs of being ready i would not push her at all.

does she go to school? My ds was in a classroom enviorment for 2 years. last year the helped us potty train him. he eventually did it on his own because he saw the other children do it and decided he was ready

azpreemiemom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Thanks. She starts school soon. I am actually bringing her to her evals this morning.

I don't plan on PT her if she is not ready as I know it will make things worse. I am not in a rush. The diapers don't bother me, but I don't want to hinder her if she IS ready. She is mostly delayed in speech, and a bit in gross motor skills. She's not autistic and understands a lot more than we realize. I am thinking about having a "naked" day and introducing her to the potty that way. I want her to know what the potty is for and how to use it- after that, she can do as she is ready.

Her ped said she is going to be one of those kids who potty train in 3 days because she is so stubborn.

Quoting poshkat:

my son is also developmentally delayed. Ds was not ready until a month before he was 4. if shes not ready and shes not showing signs of being ready i would not push her at all.

does she go to school? My ds was in a classroom enviorment for 2 years. last year the helped us potty train him. he eventually did it on his own because he saw the other children do it and decided he was ready

BabyFruit Ticker
poshkat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM

np. it'll do a world of good for her to see other kids her age with underwear on going to the potty. at DS's school they took them for a diaper change once a day (he was on a 2.5 hour program). they took two kids at a time and made sure the kids who were still in diapers went with kids in underwear so they would get it.

Also i got a book about potty training. my mom sent it to me from israel, but the english version is everyone poops or something like that. also i gave DS a tour of the toilet. we looked at it raised the seats, flushed to show him it wont suck him in, opened up the back to show him how it works, looked behind to show him how its attached to the wall. it helped him overcome his fears of it and he did not want to use a little potty. he just wanted a smaller seat that fit in the big one and after a week decided he wanted to not use it anymore. i also got him a small step stool to help him climb up.

Quoting azpreemiemom:

Thanks. She starts school soon. I am actually bringing her to her evals this morning.

I don't plan on PT her if she is not ready as I know it will make things worse. I am not in a rush. The diapers don't bother me, but I don't want to hinder her if she IS ready. She is mostly delayed in speech, and a bit in gross motor skills. She's not autistic and understands a lot more than we realize. I am thinking about having a "naked" day and introducing her to the potty that way. I want her to know what the potty is for and how to use it- after that, she can do as she is ready.

Her ped said she is going to be one of those kids who potty train in 3 days because she is so stubborn.

Quoting poshkat:

fallen018
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM

My daughter just basically did it on her own with daddys help...my son is also delayed. He just turned 2 and isnt giving any sign of being ready. Usually the soiled diapers with bother them, they show an interest in the potty, take of their diaper, say when they have to go...sometimes they just go. I know how you feel because its hard enough and then the delays make is so mucn more difficult.

Night_Roane
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM

My DD isn't developmentally delayed, but she turned 3 on July 27th and I still haven't been able to fully potty-train her (she has to be naked from the waist down or at school with her friends to go), so here's a bump for you :)

good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)