• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What IS "Financially Stable"?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM
  • 28 Replies

What makes someone financially stable?

How financially stable should one be before starting a family?

SHUT THE FUCK UP

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kool_Aide
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I think being able to afford the things you have, all bills and able to provide for your children and yourself personally.

lovinglife0682
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Financially stable is not living pay check to pay check.

bellawomen
by Summer on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:56 PM

For me financially stable is having 6 months worth of income in savings not to be touched.  At least 5k in savings for unexpected expenses and not having to struggle to pay for stuff.  Everything we need, some savings, and a little of what we want :)

prinzesstephi
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM
We live pay check to pay check, but we live well from paycheck to paycheck lol

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anaebanae
Sometimes I think it's more about financially responsible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstenrainee
Financially comfortable and able to support your current lifestyle (whether you like the finer things in life, or love thrift shopping) with a job that has resonable job security (worked there for a while, know what you're doing, would have to have a really good reason to let you go) and still have some funds left over (not living pay check - to - pay check)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ermka
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I think stability.. financial or not is something that doesn't really exist.. anything can change in a heartbeat.. things can be great one day.. and in the toilet the next.. you & your husband/SO whatever.. can have amazing jobs.. living in a great place.. have everything you think you would need raise a family.. and then a day, week, month, year later.. jobs could be lost, accidents can happen.. things can do a complete 180..

Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM

financially stable to me is not living paycheck to paycheck. making enough money to pay your bills every month and still have money left over to save. doesn't mean buying anything and everything you want. but living within your means. as far as having kids, if you can afford to buy clothes and food for your child and keep a roof over their head, then you are financially stable enough to have kids.

MissLinn
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM
This. And having a good amount of savings should the worst happen.

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anon1986East
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM

My definition of financially stable means you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck, it means your bills get paid on time without having to beg or borrow from a friend or relative for a "loan". It means you are able to afford things like food, toiletries, gas, and other necessities. I also think being financially stable should mean you are able to balance your bank accounts and have enough money in the bank to not be screwed should something occur like a car needing repairs, house repairs, or any other unexpected event that should occur that you would need to quickly come up with the money for.

Obviously it is best to be financially secure before you have a child but I've seen plenty of couple's make the best out of their tight financial situation and still provide for their child or children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)