Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should students share their grade points with other students???

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM
  • 38 Replies

College Students in Favor of Wealth Distribution Are Asked to Pass Their Grade Points to Other Students

A California college student is conducting a social experiment where he's trying to get his peers to sign a petition in favor of distributing grade point averages to show how the federal government distributes wealth.

Oliver Darcy, a recent college graduate, proposes that students with good grades contribute their GPA to their academically sluggish friends. He argues that this is how the federal government takes wealth from the country's high wage earners and distributes it to the low income earners. 

"They all earn their GPA," said Darcy in an interview with "Fox and Friends." "So we asked them if they'd be interested in redistributing the GPA points that they earned to students who may be having trouble getting a high GPA."

Darcy, who films his encounters with teachers and fellow students, doesn't have much luck selling this theory. 

He said many students on college campuses support high taxes on the rich, but when put into relative terms, cringed at the thought of spreading around their academic wealth.

In a video posted on Exposingleftists.com, one student said, "If I do give GPA points to students that don't deserve it, it isn't fair, I work for what I have."

Oliver also goes around campus asking whether students want to sign his petition to pay their share of the national debt - which amounts to nearly $47,000 per person. 

This, too, brought mixed reaction, with one student saying the debt isn't hers because she didn't contribute to it.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/17/college-students-in-favor-wealth-distribution-are-asked-to-support-grade/#ixzz1VJeObKUG

pregnant bellytoddler girltoddler boybaby boy

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calcalmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Any thoughts ladies???

MissLeanna
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM
I wouldn't sign it. I don't think they need to share grade point averages. IMO it's another excuse for kids to slack off since they can just borrow a grade point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I don't believe it is fair in any regard to take away from people what they have rightfully earned.  While tax increases logically effect those making less money more than those living comfortably it would be unfair to expect the richer to dish out more simply because they have it.   While this is a harsh truth it is a truth none the less.   I think stating it in regards to grade point averages is a great way to show people what it really means.  I don't think he really wants to distribute grade points I think he is just trying to prove a point that we are ok with demanding something as long as we aren't the ones giving it up.

MissLinn
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:39 PM
That's absurd. How about just busting your butt to do well?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calcalmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Quoting MissLeanna:

I wouldn't sign it. I don't think they need to share grade point averages. IMO it's another excuse for kids to slack off since they can just borrow a grade point.

What do you think of the comparison of grade points and wealth distribution?

sorcha1945
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM
I would not sign the petition and I also don't think its fair to heavily tax the wealthy either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peytonsmommy44
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM
I think he makes a good point. In both experiments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calcalmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Very well put!

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

I don't believe it is fair in any regard to take away from people what they have rightfully earned.  While tax increases logically effect those making less money more than those living comfortably it would be unfair to expect the richer to dish out more simply because they have it.   While this is a harsh truth it is a truth none the less.   I think stating it in regards to grade point averages is a great way to show people what it really means.

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM

My computer pad is too sensitive and I posted before I was done, just edited in blue.

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

I don't believe it is fair in any regard to take away from people what they have rightfully earned.  While tax increases logically effect those making less money more than those living comfortably it would be unfair to expect the richer to dish out more simply because they have it.   While this is a harsh truth it is a truth none the less.   I think stating it in regards to grade point averages is a great way to show people what it really means.  I don't think he really wants to distribute grade points I think he is just trying to prove a point that we are ok with demanding something as long as we aren't the ones giving it up.

calcalmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Quoting peytonsmommy44:

I think he makes a good point. In both experiments.

I agree!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)