Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

calling all vegans

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

so I noticed from your anti meat post you know which fruits have high amounts of protein in them. I need to know which fruits have a high amount of protien in them. and what is hummus and do you cook it and if so how. I need other high protein foods but no nuts. THanks.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
opinionatedmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM

BUMP!

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Quinoa is really good. WE love it and it has alot pf protine. Oh its a grain.

ToddsMommy1117
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Quoting misssy2000:

Qunoa is really good. WE love it and it has alot pf protine.

what is qunoa exactly and how do you cook it or do you cook it

GypsiSky
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM
Great, non meat protein sources.... Arame, wakame, avocados, kale, durian, jackfruit, dragon fruit, quinoa, buckwheat, kamut, nutritional yeast.
Hummus is made from chickpeas. I make mine from raw chickpeas (raw vegan) but traditionally, it is made from cooked chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and sea salt. You can even use canned chickpeas if that's your thing. If you need a more accurate recipe, pm me.
opinionatedmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Quoting GypsiSky:

Great, non meat protein sources.... Arame, wakame, avocados, kale, durian, jackfruit, dragon fruit, quinoa, buckwheat, kamut, nutritional yeast.
Hummus is made from chickpeas. I make mine from raw chickpeas (raw vegan) but traditionally, it is made from cooked chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and sea salt. You can even use canned chickpeas if that's your thing. If you need a more accurate recipe, pm me.

now you are talking totally french to me. are any of these items high in natural sugar

GypsiSky
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:06 PM
Quoting opinionatedmom:

LoL. The arame and wakame are forms of seaweed. The other fruits are a bit more exotic, as with all fruits, they do have natural sugars. Kale is a delicious green that can be eaten raw or cooked. Quinoa, buckwheat and kamut can all be eaten raw and sprouted, or cooked. Nutritional yeast has a slightly cheesy (taste). Then you have seeds and nuts which you didn't want. Oh, and the delicious avocado, of course. As well as spirulina, if you are familiar with that, is also a really great source of protein.

baby dustexpecting baby

opinionatedmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Quoting GypsiSky:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

LoL. The arame and wakame are forms of seaweed. The other fruits are a bit more exotic, as with all fruits, they do have natural sugars. Kale is a delicious green that can be eaten raw or cooked. Quinoa, buckwheat and kamut can all be eaten raw and sprouted, or cooked. Nutritional yeast has a slightly cheesy (taste). Then you have seeds and nuts which you didn't want. Oh, and the delicious avocado, of course. As well as spirulina, if you are familiar with that, is also a really great source of protein.

explain the nutrional yeast. I don't let him have sugar even in natural forms due to yeast infections. so would that fuel yeast infections? he loves cheese so if it has a cheesy taste he will eat it. he is 3 and I am having a lot of problems potty training him due to delays caused by hearing issues. He snuck a coke the other day and I have been fighting his yeast infection for 5 days now. it is drying up but still there. The ppcd bout killed me when she said no nuts. he needs the protien to offset his sugar. I can give him cherry juice it is the lowest in sugar. and bananas for somereason dont give him yeast infections and neither does canteloupe. not sure why.. that is why I focused this question to vegans. I realize vegans don't eat meat but if the protien is high enough it offsets the sugar in pasta and bread. I can't let him have any other fruit cause they all break him out in yeast infections. He can't have real potatoes unless it is buried with a lot of meat. so the protein levels out the sugar. He can have sweet potatoes though. Basically I have him on a diabetic diet to control his yeast infections. I fought yeast infections for 1 1/2 yrs on him. THey have been under control for about 1 1/2 yrs now. Unless he does something stupid like sneaking a coke. THen I go right back to square one with the yeast infections. So the coke is now hidden.

GypsiSky
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:10 PM
Maybe hold off on the nutritional yeast, since it is a form of yeast. We use it a lot in raw vegan cooking. Can you make him like a smoothie with kale, cantelope and banana? My kids love these smoothies. Freeze the bananas first. Or an avocado pudding which is made from avocado, water and agave. You can replace the agave with banana if you would prefer. Agave nectar is derived from the Mexican cactus plant and is a natural sugar that is even safe for diabetics. Run this by your pedi if you are uncertain. I prepare raw vegan foods and several of my clients are diabetic. It's even approved by the national diabetes council because it does not alter blood sugar levels. You can also make pasta dishes out of zucchini and squash. Please pm me if you have more questions, so that I can respond quickly. Hope this helps you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)