• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what does your 4 year old know??

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM
  • 30 Replies

Be specific as to the age like 4 yrs 1 month, 4 yrs 8 months, etc.

I'll start:

My 4 yr 1 month old dd knows her numbers to 10 then gets confused with 11-19 and then knows all the rest of the numbers to 99.

She knows all the letters and sounds but gets REALLLY frustrated when we try to sit down and sound out letters to make words.

she traces things well

she has not fully learned to cut with scissors yet, just simple things

he knows all shapes and how many sides they have

she knows all colors

she knows most of the days of the week

she knows what seasons are and which ones coordinate with certain holidays/times of year

she can do tasks like "match the pictures with the letter that the pic starts with"

she does tasks like "circle 6 items" or draw six items

That's all i can think of right now..

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hmommy07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM

bump!

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM

honestly i refuse to sit down and teach her anything. She doesn't like doing it and i don't have the patience. I like to let them learn on their own at that age. She will be 5 in dec. Mind you i did the same thing with my son who scored advanced in all subjects and is in the gifted and talented education program.

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM
My son is 4yr 5mo.

He knows all numbers counting and can recognize 1-20

He can recognize write and knows the sounds of all the letters. He can write and recognise his name. He knows some sight words but we aren't pushing him to read right now.

He can write all the numbers. He van do simple addition and subtraction and has memorized the answers to low number problems.

He knows all his shapes and colors.

He knows his phone number and part of our address.

He knows his birthday and moat of the months. He knows all the days of the week.

He can do the match the picture with the letter the word starts or ends with. The circling numbers of things, rhyming words, find the difference, color by number. We use lots of work books lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM
She is 3 years and 10 months. She knows her full name and how to spell it, she knows my full name and my cell number. She knows the city an state that we live in, she can also point to it on a map.

She knows her alphabet, numbers to 30.

She can read simple 1 syllable words.

She knows colors and shapes.

She can color inside the lines.

She can use scissors and a glue stick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hmommy07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM

how did you teach him the simple addition and subtraction? did you use workbooks or a video? I was thinking about getting the leapfrog math videos but not sure.

Quoting ladyraven16:

My son is 4yr 5mo.

He can recognize write and knows the sounds of all the letters. He can write and recognise his name. He knows some sight words but we aren't pushing him to read right now.

He can write all the numbers. He van do simple addition and subtraction and has memorized the answers to low number problems.

He knows his birthday and moat of the months. He knows all the days of the week.

He can do the match the picture with the letter the word starts or ends with. The circling numbers of things, rhyming words, find the difference, color by number. We use lots of work books lol.

hmommy07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM

my dd was sounding out all the letters and basically reading but then one word she couldn't figure out and she got VERY upset. ran off mad and won't try doing it again. she said, i don't want to read now. 

i am so confused now.... what should i do? how can i boost her confidence?

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:58 PM

You let is go till she is ready and wanting to do it. There is no reason to push a child into reading and all that now. It can just cause issues in school being bored. Let her do it when shes is wanting to and ready to do it.

Quoting hmommy07:

my dd was sounding out all the letters and basically reading but then one word she couldn't figure out and she got VERY upset. ran off mad and won't try doing it again. she said, i don't want to read now. 

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM
I used animal crackers to show him the basics and then put the numbers on paper and let him use the crackers to figure it out. He loved it because he got to eat them after lol. Now he can do it with his fingers and the small ones because he remembers.

Quoting hmommy07:

how did you teach him the simple addition and subtraction? did you use workbooks or a video? I was thinking about getting the leapfrog math videos but not sure.

Quoting ladyraven16:

My son is 4yr 5mo.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hmommy07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM

cute and tasty idea!

Quoting ladyraven16:

I used animal crackers to show him the basics and then put the numbers on paper and let him use the crackers to figure it out. He loved it because he got to eat them after lol. Now he can do it with his fingers and the small ones because he remembers.

Quoting hmommy07:

Quoting ladyraven16:

My son is 4yr 5mo.

hmommy07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:22 PM

that's what is confusing... she was SO excited about it until that one word that she couldn't figure out.

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

You let is go till she is ready and wanting to do it. There is no reason to push a child into reading and all that now. It can just cause issues in school being bored. Let her do it when shes is wanting to and ready to do it.

Quoting hmommy07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)