Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

parent fighting school dress code

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM
  • 78 Replies

Saw on my FB wall a mom who has a kid at school with my 3 little ones is livid that the dress code states boys can not wear earrings so she has called all the new stations and one local one is doing an interview in a few minutes.

I understand when people say "if girls can wear them so can boys" BUT my concern is the fact the school dress code plainly states no earrings on boys and no dangling or hoops on girls. It also says no tank tops, no spaghetti strap tops, no cowboy boots, no open toe shoes, would prefer girls wear shorts under dresses and skirts, no makeup, no hats, no fake tattoos and no un-natural hair colors.

Now I honestly think rules are rules and must be follwed. Id love for my child to wear her tank tops to school since it's high 90's but she cant. (again I get this is a boy vs girl issue as well) but a lot of work places wont allow males with earrings, females with more than 1 set, no visible tattoos or no visible offensive tattoos, no facial piercings etc. In the real world rules are rules no matter how we see them and should be followed. 

wife to Ron and proud 

momma to 4 kiddos b(15) b(9) & my twins b/g(6) bonus kids: b(13) g(9)

http://www.truthforsophia.com/ 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krise
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM

We know the school rules very well here.. My DD wasn't happy when we had to take out her purple and the blue from her hair once school started. I even called and spoke to one of the school staff about the new color *red* that I was going to put in my DD's hair. Our kids have to learn there are rules and that they have to obied by them. I do agree that if there is something they want to change, they will have to work hard and fight for it. I don't think an earring is worth fighting over, just my opinion.

LCWAmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:47 PM
the only problem i have ever had with the school dress code was AFTER school started they said no clothiing with skulls thet year 90% of the boys clothes out there had skulls on it and most parents had already done all their school shopping
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidkrazyinAK
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:47 PM

While I do get that rules are rules...I think your school district (and many others) are really pushing it with dress codes.

I get the strapless and spaghetti strap rules, I get the belly shirt and short skirt rules....but I don't get fake tattoos, hair color and earrings.

I think as long as something is not dangerous or harmful, does not have the possibility of showing inappropriate body parts, and is not vulgar...then there is no reason why a kid can't wear it.

screamsNsilence
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Your fb friend sounds like a moron.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Well that is not something I would be all up in arms about. Gotta follow dress code. Everyone else has to.

randi1978
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM

When the rules are stupid and interfere with a parents choice, then I think they need to be broken.

Nothing wrong with a boy wearing studs.

Nothing wrong with coloring hair whatever color the parent allows.

Nothing wrong with tank tops. 

I just don't get how schools now get away with so many restrictions on how children look and what they can and cannot eat.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM
The only reason I can see a parent fighting this is if the earrings are too new to take out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babybump87
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM
I went to school in south Texas and they had a no shorts rule... But the girls could wear skirts... It's effin 115 degrees outside, I think that particular rule was outrageous...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms2NTwins
It wasn't one of my friends a local news station posted it.

Quoting screamsNsilence:

Your fb friend sounds like a moron.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anetrnlov

What companies do you know that do not allow men to wear earrings (other than Disney World)?

Personally, I think the rules are excessive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)