Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whatever I said about my nephew, I take it all back.....well, most of it.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM
  • 3 Replies

He is a little monster!! I thought my DD misbehaved. She looks like an angel compared to him. I honestly don't know what happened. Well, I can wager a guess. But....he used to be so sweet and polite. Now, he just yells and runs around and doesn't listen.

We're all visiting my mom and sister J (who just had a baby). Yesterday morning, my sister (M) says, "I'll put on some Garfield for you to watch." I said, "Why not Team Umizoomi? They'll learn something watching Umizoomi." So, she changes the channel. My DD (who is 4, and 2.5 months older then my nephew) was pointing things out left and right- getting the numbers right- counting. Even my DS, who's almost 2 (next week) was able to count. My nephew just stared at the screen.

Last night, after the kids had a bath, my nephew peed his pants (he is not potty trained) and then jumped on my sister M laughing, because he knew he was wet. My sister said, "Oh it's because he doesn't have a pull-up on." It was like, "M....he KNOWS when he has to go to the bathroom. This was NOT an accident." Today, he peed his pants again. He didn't tell anyone he had to go (we were at the hospital visiting my sister J).

All day he yells (literally yells) at my DD, telling her she can't do certain things, play with certain toys, etc. This morning he took the cake. We were watching cartoons (Umizoomi again, I think) and my DD kind of stepped in front of him. He yells at her saying, "Get out of my way you idiot!!" My sister M was, in my opinion, very slow to react. Almost like it didn't bother her that her son just called someone else an idiot, and the ONLY reason she was punishing him was because my mom, another sister (S) and I were there. My mom said, "Where did he learn that word?" and my sister S said, "Probably from his douche bag father." (this was while M and my nephew were in the bedroom, while she was putting him in timeout I guess).

They've been here for 3 days and it's been horrible. He used to be so good. People used to compare my nehew to my DD and act like he was so much better (behavior-wise). Now...not even a comparison. My DD is better behaved for sure. She's actually been looking at him like, "Why is he always yelling? What's his problem?"

Ugh, sorry. I just had to vent. It's just so frustrating because my sister doesn't do a damn thing to correct him. She tells him "No" but that's about where it ends. ::sigh:: I want to talk to her about different forms of discipline, but I don't even know where/how to start. She gets so defensive about things.....I don't want to insult her, but.....they'll kick my nephew out of school if his behavior continues (he's SUPPOSED to start preschool in September).

What would you do? Have you ever run into this (where the kid was really nice one summer, and the by the following summer he did a complete 180)?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gilbertgrl627
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM

lol, No one else had gone through something like this?

1_hawt_mami
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM

yes, i have but they are my in laws so i just keep my child away. he has learned some very horrible things. like to run from me because if he runs he can do what he wants. screaming and crying to get is way.. ugh horrible. if they were my family i would just sit her down and talk with her. sorry im not a big help lol

gilbertgrl627
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:13 PM

lol, Thanks. I just don't know how to bring it up. lol, "Hey, why is your kid behaving like he was raised by wolves?" lol, I wonder if that would work. Probably not.

We only see him once a year. The kids and I (and my DH) live in Colorado. My mom and 2 other sisters live in Florida, and my sister/nephew live in Mississippi. Once a year we all come back to my mom's and spend a few weeks together. Sort of like a family reunion. My sister and BIL were basically living down here until recently, and my mom was taking care of my nephew (my sister and BIL's work hours varied a lot, and most of the time they were working overnight). Maybe that's where it all went wrong- once my mom wasn't the one taking care of him, no one really was, so he went downhill.

Quoting 1_hawt_mami:

yes, i have but they are my in laws so i just keep my child away. he has learned some very horrible things. like to run from me because if he runs he can do what he wants. screaming and crying to get is way.. ugh horrible. if they were my family i would just sit her down and talk with her. sorry im not a big help lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)