Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

colleg moms help me understand cost of attendance!!!! please!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

this is what finanical aid is saying my cost of attendance is;

Cost of Attendance
Component

Amount

Tuition & Fees

$4,366.00

Books & Supplies

$1,200.00

Transportation

$3,200.00

Personal Expense

$5,346.00

Room & Board

$9,190.00

Total:

$23,302.00

that is for the year. i don't have to have room and board and i am not in need of extra for transportatoin or personal expense..so am i able to remove those? or do those things go to the college as well?

All i am needing a student loan for is to cover books and tution..nothing else.

i'm confused. i don't want to take out a loan for anything i don't need!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mackQuin
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM

i guess what i am asking is it required to fund room and board, transportation and personal expense?

1boy1girlmama
by *Sarcasm Speaks* on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:18 PM

You are on the hook for tuition and books. I'm guessing the resti s just an estimate (well room & board is probably if you are living on campus). So Yes, you can subtract those costs.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I don't know, but would like to know as well. But I could see transportation as the cost to you to travel to/from the school.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Oh and room and board may be an allowance to help pay your rent or something?

mackQuin
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Quoting 1boy1girlmama:

You are on the hook for tuition and books. I'm guessing the resti s just an estimate (well room & board is probably if you are living on campus). So Yes, you can subtract those costs.

i knew i was on the hook for those two but i dont' really need to worry about the other things.

so basically i am able to just lower my total loan down from 23,302 to just 5566?

mackQuin
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Quoting night.magic:

i don't know but i don't want to pay for it when its already taken care of. lol i can pay for my gas and my personal items and my mortgage without the help from a college loan so i really dont' want to take a loan for anythingbut the tuition and books.

SamiJ18
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Lol that is an estimate for the overall costs. You don't have to pay the college for room and board or transportation. Only tuition, fees and books.
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Definitely understand that. Wouldn't want to borrow more than needed, just have to pay that much back plus interest, I imagine.

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting night.magic:

i don't know but i don't want to pay for it when its already taken care of. lol i can pay for my gas and my personal items and my mortgage without the help from a college loan so i really dont' want to take a loan for anythingbut the tuition and books.

MommyFlood
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM

This

Quoting 1boy1girlmama:

"I am the conductor of the orchestra in my head. Some days; it's a symphony. Other days; it's a middle school band practice."

masonmomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM
They give an estimate cost and send it to the school. The school says how much they actually need and if you have enrolled to live in campus and what not. When you get an award letter you can deny a certain amount but it won't be anywhere near their estimate. This is the impression I get of how it works. Mine always has a ridiculous amount like that then doesn't get anywhere near it in the award letter and I have rejected loans before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)