Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom just got a strange phone call.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM
  • 11 Replies
An elderly lady just called her house. She was asking for my step father. She said she got the phone number from the pastor that used to be at my step dads church. My step father is the treasurer of the church. She was telling my mother that her husband got hurt 15 years ago and had to have four pins put in his leg. Because of his disability he hasn't been able to work since. Now he has a heart condition and one of the pins in his leg is sticking out. She said she was needing $126.00 for the electric bill or it was going to be cut off tomorrow. She asked my mom if she, or the church would be able to help. My mom told her that she would talk to my step dad and let her know if the church can help or not, but that they couldn't help her themselves. Mom asked her if she had tried any ohter churches and the lady said that they told her all of the fund were reserved for church members.(I completely disagree with this. I think churches should help anyone they are able to help). Anyway, I feel so bad for this lady and wish with all my heart I had the money to give her. Do you all have any suggestions for where she may be able to get some help?
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissa632
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:25 PM
St. Vincent de Paul helps with utility bills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PookaboosMom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM
That is crazy, my church will help anyone. Poor lady
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjones0461
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM
Bump. Thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM
Lol @ otter churches.

But try St. Vincent de Paul since I've seen a few people suggest that in other threads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM

It's sad how some churches are. Maybe the Salvation Army?

itsallabtthem84
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:32 PM

How does one find out if they have one in there area?

Quoting melissa632:

St. Vincent de Paul helps with utility bills.

mama2three717
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Salvation Army and generally the Catholic Churches will help with situations like this. Majority of Christian Churches (not bashing, as I am Christian) due reserve their funds for members of the church. 

jjones0461
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:43 PM
Thank you ladies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
party_of_5
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM

How sad. We have a place called Center of Hope here where we live & they help people with different things like electric bills or can help find churches to help or "give pledges". See if y'all have anything like that in your town.

jjones0461
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM
I will thank you.

Quoting party_of_5:

How sad. We have a place called Center of Hope here where we live & they help people with different things like electric bills or can help find churches to help or "give pledges". See if y'all have anything like that in your town.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)