• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are mailed wedding invitations a thing of the past?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM
  • 31 Replies

We have a niece who is to be married on October 1st.  We've known of it for a while as she called everyone to share the news. I was expecting a paper invitation in the mail that would share the info about the wedding as well as a gift registry. As of yesterday the only invitation she seems to want to send is via Facebook.  Maybe I am just old school or I missed something. Are paper invitations no longer used?  I know they can be expensive. I made my own via computer 11 years ago and made color copies at Kinko's for less than $20. I am not trying to sound judgemental. I guess more than anything I am surprised that every aspect of such formal events seem to be disappearing. And then I wonder what to get as a gift. They aren't registered anywhere but isn't a gift still aceptable to give?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jnttd
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM
What? Who doesn't send our invites? And who invites people on Facebook? How tacky is that?!
I didn't even use FB invites for my DD's first birthday- I mailed them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamaford2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I thought it was tacky too. I mean, I get that they are really young and money is tight but this is kind of on the nuts side.

lovin_being_mom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I thought wedding invites were usually sent out a month beforehand- there's still plenty of time to receive one

Kodysmommy928
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM
Of course you send them out. It is customary to do so 8 to 6 weeks before the event and she is in that time frame. A save the date card may preceed the invite.
Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM

i think so. the last few baby showers and bridal showers and wedding i have been invited to, all of them were only facebook invites. i never got 1 invite in the mail. i think its just easier and cheaper for people to do it that way nowadays. i really have no problem with it tho. i think its just the way it is nowadays. i rarely get anything in the mail besides bills anyways. plus some people move around alot of don't have current addresses. i can totally see how people would do it that way.

Tabitha109
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I still get paper ones. 

graciesmom6206
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM
Do you think the invite was more of a just save the date type of thing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamacruz13
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM

FB invites for a wedding is super tacky! We made our own wedding invites for around 80 dollars.

As far as a gift, maybe a gift card since they aren't registered. Or cash in a nice card.

ohbladi
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:06 PM

I made mine on Vistaprint...about $25 for 40. This was much cheaper than anything else I found!I can see why a bride-to-be would be intimidated by the prices and selections out there...I wanted to cry because looking on actual wedding invite sites, it could easily have been $200!

I'm not doing a gift registry though. If someone wants to get me a gift, that is nice...but I don't expect it, and certainly not from a particular list of stuff. DF and I have been living together for years and have a house set up...we don't need silverware, appliances, etc. Besides, I didn't do a registry for my baby shower either. It was much more meaningful to me for people to give me what they thought was cute or useful, and women tend to give things that they, their friends, or their daughters have enjoyed and needed...it was like getting a piece of mothering advice, minus any words that could be misconstrued as hurtful. :)

troll.mom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM

i would NEVER attend a wedding if i did NOT receive a paper invite...

never heard of anyone sending out evites or FB emails as a wedding invitation...

as for gifts... gifts are given at bridal showers and money is given at the wedding (or at least that is how where i live do it) because until CM i was shocked people gave an actual gift at a wedding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)