Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about those of you whom know German Shephards

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM
  • 7 Replies

So this lady posted on Craigslist if she cant get rid of her dog that she is going to send her dog to the pound. I messaged the lady and said if you cant sell her give her to me and Ill give her a home. Well no one wanted lady so I got her. She is a year old and is the best dog in the world. She is great with kids. But she is scared to death of my rottie and men she doesnt know. When she first met my dh she growled at him. Then over the course of the day she bonded with dh. She cries when I leave the house.  My 2 year old hit her and she growled at him. I am sure Ill get bashed but how do i make her transition a good one? I know she misses her old family. The lady whom gave her to me asked about her and I told her if she ever wanted her back to just message me. Yes I am teaching her German commands and thats so she wont listen to anyone but me.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nessy1980
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM

BUMP!

Achromia
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM

They are highly intelligent. Ours talks to us. He is so funny. He says "i love you", "no" and " i dont wanna"...lol

Go to fullsize image 
Go to fullsize image

Autism and Albinism

jplumb
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I own one but I don't have any advice. We have had our dog since he was a puppy and was raised around 2 of my kids as a pup. We then had our 3rd baby and he took to her like he did the others. He is very good with other kids too. I'll bump for you though!

nessy1980
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Thank you!!! I didnt want this dog to go to the pound and die. I want to help her adjust to us.

Quoting jplumb:

I own one but I don't have any advice. We have had our dog since he was a puppy and was raised around 2 of my kids as a pup. We then had our 3rd baby and he took to her like he did the others. He is very good with other kids too. I'll bump for you though!

Mamacruz13
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I was concerned you were going to say you are teaching her German commands so she will understand them... Since she is a German Shephard... lol.

Hmm first I would start by teaching your two year old how to properly treat a dog to keep them safe. And watch them very closely around the dog since it seems they are not used to being around one (the child or the dog)

As far as the other dog goes. Try putting them both on a leash, have your husband take one dog and you take the other. Take them in the back yard and walk them around, start by walking on opposite sides of the yard and passing each other occasionally then slowly introduce one dog to the other. You will probbaly have to bring the rottie to her since she is scared. That should help her get used to his presence.

It sounds like she really needs to be socialized, maybe taking her to a local dog park and keeping her on a leash that way she is around stranger dogs and people. It might help with her uneasiness.

Gusandruca
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:38 PM
We adopted ours from a rescue when he was a little over a year old. I was so intimidated at first because he's HUGE. And I've owned pitbulls and rotties! LOL
but I soon discovered he is amazing. My ds was 4 when we adopted him. I have NEVER felt uneasy about his temperament.
My suggestion would be to do "stuff" with her with the WHOLE family. Walks, take her to the park, even a car ride. She just needs time to find her place in the pack. And you need the whole families presence to do that. KWIM?
But she should be able to take commands from not just you. German is fine, but your dh and children should be able to recall and direct her as well.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM
You have a puppy and a toddler. Two beings that need to be instructed and taught how to treat each other. You have a task aheadof you. What you need to do is teach your child how to treat the dog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)