• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's not the money, its the principle! (well, ok, its the money, too!)***UPDATE***

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:36 PM
  • 59 Replies

Because I sell things online, I try to buy what I may need from other mom's who sell stuff, too. After purchasing many bows for my girls, I decided to buy a bow holder. So I found a lady online who makes them and got a quote from her. She gave me a quote for $50. I ended up ordering it a month later. She told me she had just changed her prices from $50 to $60. A 20% increase? WOW, I thought. But whatever, I ordered it anyway. I ended up winning a $5 coupon on her page so my total was actually $55. When she invoiced me for $78 I had to ask why she was charging me $23 for shipping! She said that was the cheapest they quoted her, so I payed her. I mean, at this point she had already made the darn thing so what was I going to do, right? Although she had told me it averaged $15 for shipping depending on the state. Being I was only 6hrs away I thought $15 would be the max. So I get the holder in the mail and to my surprise it says $9 for shipping. I emailed her and asked her if I was going to be reimbursed the difference. She said yes, minus the "handling" & she'd verify that amount when she'd get home WTF!? What handling? You're a woman who works out of your home! This was Friday. Monday I emailed her asking how much it was for handling & she said $5 + the $2+ for Pay pal fees. WTF?? I sell stuff online and Pay pal fees are just the price of doing business. That should be taken in to consideration when you price your stuff, no? And $5 for handling? I mean are you charging me for the box and the newspaper you threw in there? UGH... so here we are Wednesday afternoon and I still havent been reimbursed any money. I mean I know its only about $7, but still! That's $7 I shouldnt have been charged!
Would you feel a bit taken advantage of, or is it just me? Im trying to give this lady the benefit of the doubt, but its still bothering me. What would you do? I hate this... I dont want to loose faith in mom's trying to make a few extra dollars from home :/

***UPDATE*** I sent her an email following up on the partial refund and she did it. The only problem is she only refunded me $5!!?? WTF?
So I sent her this email:

I see it now.
You refunded me $5.
Honestly, its not the money, but I find it insane to charge someone twice as much for shipping as it actually cost. Postage was $9, you charged me $23 and now you're refunding me $5. That's still $18.00 for shipping... twice as much as it cost.
The pay pal fees? Honestly as one business person to another, that is supposed to be the cost of doing business. I buy online all the time and no one has ever charged me a pay pal fee. That should all be considered when pricing stuff.
Honestly I'm a bit disappointed. Originally you gave me a quote for $50. I place my order a month later and you've raised the price 20% to $60. And now this?
At this point its not the extra amount of money for shipping. I just feel a bit taken advantage of. Especially when you and I both know I could have purchased a bow holder for a lot less than $60.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Famousglm714
by Gina on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM
I'd be annoyed. I hate when sellers overcharge for shipping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarina.c.c
by Reen on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM
Sorry idk but I wouldn't have paid 50 bucks in the first place for a bow holder..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofton
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I  think I would just wait for the reimbursment, but would make note of it in my feedback I left for her.

activitymode
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM
If she has a feedback on her page say exactly what happened. She hosed you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momsthename0609
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM
I would be annoyed, I also wouldn't buy from her again. However I would just forget about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZelisMommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM

It's hand made and wood. I know its pricey (it was actually $55) but like I said I thought i was one mom helping another... you know, like when you try to by items made in the USA. But now I feel like she's screwing me.

Quoting Sarina.c.c:

Sorry idk but I wouldn't have paid 50 bucks in the first place for a bow holder..

FoxFire363
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM

You paid that much for a bow holder? Really? That's all I can think of right now, sorry. 

bec94
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Quoting activitymode:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Quoting activitymode:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZelisMommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM

See above reply... It was also a personalized bow holder.

Quoting FoxFire363:

You paid that much for a bow holder? Really? That's all I can think of right now, sorry. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)