• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'll be able to see again in 7 short days!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hit me up with everything I need to know about Lasik. What is all the stuff that you wish someone told you before you had it done? When did you do it and how much did it cost? Do you still have the same results now?

I'm scheduled for surgery next week!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Good Luck!

ambcutie24
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I did it and LOVE it......no more contacts or glasses YAY...I did it 3 years ago and so far so good

smarshy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Jealous! Good luck. Bump.

Luvmy2Boys85
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I love it!!! The only thing I would tell you is afterward until you fall asleep its very uncomfortable.

alwayskk
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I had lasik done last December.

The procedure itself was a cake walk. I was a little bit nervous but it was fine. I could see as soon as I stood up but it was sort of wonky like when you first get glasses or contacts.

By the time I got home, my eyes were burning, which is normal. It was pretty intense for about three hours but they also say to go home and go right to sleep. So if you can do that, it helps a lot.

They will give you tons of eye drops and also tell you to go get some more regular saline drops. They sell some at Walgreens (I don't think CVS carries them) that are for individual use for post lasik procedure. Get the big box, you will need it. You will have to use them constantly.

You will probably have very dry eyes for a few weeks, if not a few months. Some people develop dry eye syndrome, I think I have.

Make sure you go to ALL of your post-op appointments. I kind of screwed myself on that one because for my 3 and 6 month post opp appointments, my life was so crazy and hectic that I forgot and now I'm having to convince the DR to let me come back to his practice :/ They're going to let me come back one more time for free before they start charging me :(

Also, they told me that people who have the worst eyesight usually do the best, people who have the best eyesight generally see fewer results. They also said that sometimes people need a 'retouch' and my doctor (I went to berkeley eye center in katy, texas) does it for free for up to two years after the procedure.

I am very happy with the results but as time has gone by, my eyesight is no longer 20/20. Right after the procedure, it was 20/15 and right now, it's about 20/30. :( But hopefully I can still get the retouch for free.

I can still read, write, walk around and drive. At night, it gets a little more challenging and sometimes I can't see signs until I'm closer when I'm driving but overall, I am still glad I did it.

Oh, and I paid $4K. That was with a few discounts, no insurance. 

Mommavieve
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM
I had PRK, so my experience was a little different than yours will be. The only thing I can say is you'll be able to smell your eyes burning. It's very strange. Lol. Also, I found that the appointments prior to the actual surgery were worse than the surgery itself. It's very brief, less than 10 minutes from the time you go into the room until you leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kstahlhood
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:02 PM
Bump, I'm wanting to get it done also!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobemom85
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM
Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jplumb
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM

bump. I would love to hear more about this too. Can't stand wearing my glasses and I really don't want contacts either. good luck!

DeathGoddess
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)