Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wichita Child Found Wandering In Neighborhood

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM
  • 16 Replies

August 17, 2011

A little boy is back safely in his mother's arms, but not before causing a big stir in South Wichita Tuesday. Police say the boy was found wandering alone in the 800 block of South Hydraulic in Wichita. Now the boy's uncle is behind bars.

Police say the boy's mother was nowhere to be found when the boy was discovered wandering near the street. The mother says she was gone to the doctor and left the boy in the care of her brother.

"I was so frazzled because I didn't know what happened," explained Ashley Lour. "I called my sister because I didn't know what to do."

Lour tells KAKE News that she had arranged for her brother to watch little Cameron while she went to a doctor appointment early Tuesday. but 18 year-old Matthew Osborn fell asleep. When neighbors reported the boy to police, officers found Osborn and noticed he was high... the marijuana easily accessible to even the child.

"He was very groggy and appeared to be sleeping when he opened the door," said Wichita Police Lieutenant Doug Nolte. "In plain view, marijuana was sitting on the coffee table."

"He watches him for me quite a bit, like when I need to go," Lour said. "Because Cameron is a handful and he'll fight me every step of the way. Especially on the bus."

Osborn was arrested. meanwhile, police took Cameron into protective custody until they could find his mother.

"I think it was very much blown out of proportion," Lour said. "It was just ridiculous."

However, we found at least one neighbor who said the issue isn't blown out of proportion and that it has happened more than once before. Once, she said, nobody was watching Cameron and he somehow made it to the swimming pool and jumped into the deep end.

"Then he got away again and got on Hydraulic again," the neighbor said. "I mean, she just don't watch her kids. Sorry."

"Matthew Osborn remains in the Sedgwick County Jail on charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and child endangerment.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
avajeansmomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM

His own mother said "it was blown out of proportion." If my kid was roaming the streets at 3 I would feel like a failure, and honestly I would be. Who the hell thinks that is not a big deal?? I saw this on my local news and she said "even his dad said it wasn't a big deal."

This is about a mile away from me, it makes me sick. That side of the bridge gets pretty rough too. :(

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Wichita_Child_Found_Wandering_In_Neighborhood_127953108.html

lyranightshade
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM

This is a giant mess. Just... a giant mess. Did she know that her 18 year old brother was so irresponsible? How old is 'Little Cameron'? I understand not wanting to take your kiddo with you to a doctor's office... especially when you're already feeling sick and you don't want to deal with an inevitable tantrum (like, for example, the only appointment slot is right at naptime... happened to me before and my god, that sucked). But, if what her neighbor said was true, she does it more than is necessary... I have a feeling that CPS will probably get involved and open an investigation. Might be in the best interests of the kiddo. Here's to hoping little Cameron lives a safe, healthy, and happy life... free of hanging out on open roads.

Kristymomof4
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM

wow...wtf.

-xoxo-
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM

That is so messed up. It reminds me of this guy I used to work with that admitted to falling asleep and waking up later to find that his daughter had eaten his pot and walked down the block. Morons.... 

avajeansmomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I think she should be just as responsible as her piece of shit brother. I don't know them at all but they live very near by me. On the other side of a major highway. I just couldn't imagine! He is 3 years old. :(

This area is by a busy gas station with a not so friendly neighborhood in the first place.

Quoting lyranightshade:

This is a giant mess. Just... a giant mess. Did she know that her 18 year old brother was so irresponsible? How old is 'Little Cameron'? I understand not wanting to take your kiddo with you to a doctor's office... especially when you're already feeling sick and you don't want to deal with an inevitable tantrum (like, for example, the only appointment slot is right at naptime... happened to me before and my god, that sucked). But, if what her neighbor said was true, she does it more than is necessary... I have a feeling that CPS will probably get involved and open an investigation. Might be in the best interests of the kiddo. Here's to hoping little Cameron lives a safe, healthy, and happy life... free of hanging out on open roads.

lyranightshade
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I don't know how people do it. I'm too paranoid to nap when the kids do. I'm a heavy sleeper and I'm afraid I'd sleep through something important or wouldn't get up quickly enough if something bad happened. If you KNOW you're a heavy sleeper, why not invest in some coffee or something? Then again, if you're not only doing drugs while your kids are under your care, but LEAVING THE DRUGS ACCESSIBLE, I guess you wouldn't much care if you slept through them crying :/

Quoting -xoxo-:

That is so messed up. It reminds me of this guy I used to work with that admitted to falling asleep and waking up later to find that his daughter had eaten his pot and walked down the block. Morons.... 

eviesmom453
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Wow. Poor kid :(

lyranightshade
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I can't place blame on her, since I don't know the full extent of the story. I can say that I wouldn't be leaving my kids with any 18 year old boy, unless it was under dire circumstances. My oldest is three.. I can't imagine him walking on the side of a highway in a bad neighborhood. I'd probably lose the last shred of sanity I'm holding on to if that ever happened. Poor kiddo. I really hope this is a wake up call for mom, at the very least.

Quoting avajeansmomma:

I think she should be just as responsible as her piece of shit brother. I don't know them at all but they live very near by me. On the other side of a major highway. I just couldn't imagine! He is 3 years old. :(

This area is by a busy gas station with a not so friendly neighborhood in the first place.

Quoting lyranightshade:

WaMomOFfour
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM

how can any mom say "it was very much blown out of proportion", when it comes to their child being found wondering around a busy road. I would of bitched slapped my brother if he had done something so irresponsible. I live in Wichita right near Hydraulic and Pawnee.

avajeansmomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM

It's the comments by the neighborhood woman on the news that got to me. She said she has seen him outside on several other occasions alone. More than once, is enough for me to place blame on her. I had a dream that my daughter was walking alone down the street and I woke up crying and had to go make sure she was there in bed. I couldn't get back to sleep after that. But this woman seems not to give a shit.

Quoting lyranightshade:

I can't place blame on her, since I don't know the full extent of the story. I can say that I wouldn't be leaving my kids with any 18 year old boy, unless it was under dire circumstances. My oldest is three.. I can't imagine him walking on the side of a highway in a bad neighborhood. I'd probably lose the last shred of sanity I'm holding on to if that ever happened. Poor kiddo. I really hope this is a wake up call for mom, at the very least.

Quoting avajeansmomma:

Quoting lyranightshade:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)