Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too broke for Christmas!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM
  • 94 Replies

Ok, so I am struggling, and since Christmas is coming up in a few months, I bet there are other moms already nervous they won't be able to make it as well.

I was wondring since we still have months to go if anyone could offer suggestions for myself or other familys on ways to save this far in advance?

What I am doing:

*I save ALL change in a jar. In the last month and 1/2 I have managed to save almost 40 dollars. Change adds up fast!

*My dh works at a fast food place and every time I pick him up after a closing shift, I go thru the drive thru and look for change that people may have dropped. There is always something there and I have even found a couple dollars worth of change one time

*I have been cutting out how much I drive and this has allowed me to put a few extra dollars into savings

*I have already started selling dd's clothes she has grown out of in "lots" on craigslist.

ok..so what else can anyone suggest for saving for christmas?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Faeta
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I'm doing the saving change and some hand mae gifts for friends/family.

WhipperWhirl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM
Put stuff on layaway in like september or october and pay down every few weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I've been using swagbucks for a while now. Its like a points program thing that you can save your points up for gift cards and pay pal cash and stuff.  Look into it.

aka_speezolove
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Quoting WhipperWhirl:

Put stuff on layaway in like september or october and pay down every few weeks

Here, I am not even sure anything does layaway anymore. Our walmart quit doing it years ago and target never has here. Does Kmart still do layaway?

Good suggestion. Theres plenty of time for layaway :)

aka_speezolove
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Quoting Meltopia529:

I've been using swagbucks for a while now. Its like a points program thing that you can save your points up for gift cards and pay pal cash and stuff.  Look into it.

How does one earn points?

annanonnymommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM

i use swagbucks too. i like the change in the jar idea - i always put mine in a can but never thought to use it for christmas (i am blonde). sell stuff on websites (i am trying it this year but not having much luck).

elle7777
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Selling plasma? Did that in college a few times.

bellawomen
by Summer on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM
I know its not helping now, but after Christmas start putting money away each week throughout the year.

Do you have any hobbies you could make money from?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kthruz143
by Kerrie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM
We do layaway at kmart also, we pick up things on clearance through the year
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I include Christmas in my budget and shop year round. this has helped me to afford Christmas. If my daughter wants something that is pricey I will put the money that I budgetted aside for a few months until I have it then go ahead and get it.  I also watch for sales throughout the year.  I also save change but that is not specifically for Christmas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)