Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oregon hospitals banning elective c-sections & inductions *edit*

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM
  • 128 Replies

This article was provided by: http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/124642/state_bans_elective_inductions_and

"Good news for babies in Oregon: On September 1, the state will become the latest in the country to enforce a "hard stop" on elective, non-medically necessary inductions and cesarean sections before 39 weeks. Of course, moms-to-be who want to schedule their deliveries early for the sake of convenience (or to ensure that their own doctor will be available) probably won't think this is great news.

Maybe that's because they don't fully grasp how huge the benefits of staying in the womb for an extra week or two are for babies.

Research has shown that babies' brains, livers, and lungs make significant developments during the final stretch of pregnancy (weeks 39 to 40, roughly). Technically, a baby is considered "full-term" at 37 weeks, but the more time they get to "cook," the better.

Naturally, that's assuming both baby and mom are in good health. There are circumstances where inductions and elective c-sections are, in fact, medically necessary. But this change in hospital policy doesn't affect non-elective procedures, so any concern over women being denied intervention that they actually need is unwarranted. Another falsely held belief is that early inductions aren't as extreme as early elective c-sections. Part of the reason why cesarean rates in this country have been skyrocketing is because inductions often turn into c-sections. (When your body's not ready, it's not ready!)

Babies who are born early, by the way, are at a greater risk of developing respiratory and feeding problems, as well as being re-admitted to the hospital for "failure to thrive."

It bothers me that the practice of early inductions and c-sections was ever this widespread to begin with, but hopefully things are starting to turn around ...

Do you agree with Oregon's decision to stop elective, non-medically necessary inductions and c-sections?"

FYI: No where did it state that the the state of Oregon was making this a LAW. A group of about 17 hospital are deciding to put a "hard-stop" to elective c-sections before 39 weeks. So before everyone gets upset about the government making this a law and taking away from a "women's right," understand the article and the whole situation first.

I agree with this law. I don't think you should be able to have a c-section or be induced just because you are "done" being pregnant. When the baby is ready, s/he will come. IMO, c-sections and inductions should be used for emergency purposes only.

Being pregnant and giving birth is not about convenience of the mother. To decided that you no longer want to be pregnant and have no medical issues (self & baby), I believe it's selfish to possibly risk the health of yourself and the health of your baby.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MultiPara
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I dont agree with it. I dont think that there need to be laws like that on our reproductive systems. 

MommaSiete
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I can't believe people do that anyway. I think it's great. And I also believe that elective c-sections at ANY gestation should be illegal as well. 

3greatkids751
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM
Good! I feel as though many other states should follow suit also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamagreen08

I agree with this law. I don't think you should be able to have a c-section or be induced just because you are "done" being pregnant. When the baby is ready, s/he will come. IMO, c-sections and inductions should be used for emergency purposes only.

2boys_1girl

Sounds good to me!

I was induced twice, but I was also at, or past my due date.

mamagreen08
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM

bump

..Kandy.Korn..
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM
Agreed.

Quoting MommaSiete:

I can't believe people do that anyway. I think it's great. And I also believe that elective c-sections at ANY gestation should be illegal as well. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nucking_futs

Here they never do elective csections or elective inductions before 39 weeks.

JazzyMommyx3
I agree,
I was induced with my middle but I was past my due date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Yes - same here, but that recommendation was made over 3 years ago nationally, which is when practices changed in my state.

Quoting nucking_futs:

Here they never do elective csections or elective inductions before 39 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)