Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serious Question

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:35 AM
  • 13 Replies
Okay, I was on the phone today with my very good friend. We were talking about health insurance and about how she doesn't have any. She's 22 w/ no children. Anytime she wants to get tested for stds she goes to the ER. I told her she should apply for medicad because her ER bills are piling up. She says "I thought you had to have children to be on medicad." Is that true? I thought anyone could get on medicad? Also, if she can apply how does she go about applying?
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:36 AM

not sure but when I was in college I didn't have a job, and didn't have insurance and as long as I was a full time student I got it up tp age 22 I think. Not sure why exactly but I didn't have income so that may have helped/

born2bAmother
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:39 AM

i think its only for disabled...pregnancy....and children under 21....thats the only catagories on the app where i live

MsDean
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:40 AM
IDK....however she should go to Planned Parenthood.
VertaBaybee
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:47 AM
Okay. Thanks ladies.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:08 AM

No, you have to be a certain income.... A planned parenthood clinic is a better bet for her std screening.

india_haven
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:11 AM
where i live the health dept do std checks free. So yu should c if she could do that instead
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crashly
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:11 AM
You have to have almost no income to qualify as an adult with no disabilities and not pregnant.

She needs to go to a community health clinic or a planned parenthood. Who taught her to go to the ER for an STD test?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Summer on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Why is she not on her parent's insurance?

Why is she having to test that much for stds?

kirstenrainee
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:14 AM
I think planned parenthood charges things on a sliding scale, so that might be a better option for her. And most major cities have at least one health clinic that has a free std testing day, she should look into that. I think you have to either be disabled, pregnant, or little to no income for Medicaid otherwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VertaBaybee
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:41 AM
Quoting bellawomen:

Why is she not on her parent's insurance?

Why is she having to test that much for stds?

She lives alone in low income housing. She has been twice I believe. I just know she tells me those ER visits are expensive.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)